• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FFF or FFFF?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two .62-20 smoothbore guns and a .54 cal rifle, all flintlocks. I use 3F for the load as well as the pan. The one powder granulation works well for both for me.

I can see the headlines now. "GOEX 3f determined better for flintlocks than their 4f powder". I would imagine that powder companies have some sort of proof to back up their claim that 4f produces faster ignition time.

My vent hole is now self priming, so it's 3fff for me, but I think 4ffff is faster.

The only reason I use 4fg at all is because some one gave me a pound of the stuff. Being a percussion shooter, he had no use for the stuff. So I use it. And when it's gone, I'll prime with 2fg from my powder horn.

I have used 3F, 4F and Null B (about 7F) Swiss. All work. If in a serious competition, I use the Null B. In really damp conditions, a clean, dry pan is absolutely necessary or the fine powders go to soup. That is one instance where I have found the 3F to be a better option. But since I clean my pan after every shot, it is not a huge issue.

ADK Bigfoot

I use 2, 3, and 4F in the pan depending on weather and humidity. Target/plinking i use 3 or 4F. Hunting is 2 or 3F depending on which flinter as it’s easier to prime from the powder horn.

I've always used 4F for priming, mostly out of habit. I'll likely continue to do so. There have been times I had to prime with 3F and couldn't detect any difference.

ffffg. But fffg or ffg works too. I THINK I can tell the difference between ffffg and fffg. Definitely can tell a difference between ffffg and ffg in my flintlocks.

@Zonie has posted a link to Larry Pletcher's study of lock timing. As @tenngun stated earlier, 4f is faster that 3f, but it takes sophisticated instrumentation to detect the difference in timing.

If your interested, those high speed camera tests were done by one of our members. Check out the posts on the forum made by a man called Larry Pletcher.
He ran the tests and wrote the articles.

Here's a link to his home directory where you can find a list of posts he's made.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/members/larry-pletcher.6506/

I know that when I shoot my flintlocks I think that I can detect a slight delay. If I let someone else shoot my flint lock rifle, I don't hear any delay.

Latest posts

Back