theoldsow

Pilgrim
Reaction score
For priming the pan, what is better, 3F or 4F powder? Cheers, Foxtail

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have two .62-20 smoothbore guns and a .54 cal rifle, all flintlocks. I use 3F for the load as well as the pan. The one powder granulation works well for both for me.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
"Better" is a qualitative term set forth by a set of criteria. What criteria are you using ?

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I can see the headlines now. "GOEX 3f determined better for flintlocks than their 4f powder". I would imagine that powder companies have some sort of proof to back up their claim that 4f produces faster ignition time.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
My vent hole is now self priming, so it's 3fff for me, but I think 4ffff is faster.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My personal preference is FFFFg. But, in reality, anything in a smoothie is fine. Do yer own thang.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The only reason I use 4fg at all is because some one gave me a pound of the stuff. Being a percussion shooter, he had no use for the stuff. So I use it. And when it's gone, I'll prime with 2fg from my powder horn.

ADK Bigfoot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have used 3F, 4F and Null B (about 7F) Swiss. All work. If in a serious competition, I use the Null B. In really damp conditions, a clean, dry pan is absolutely necessary or the fine powders go to soup. That is one instance where I have found the 3F to be a better option. But since I clean my pan after every shot, it is not a huge issue.

ADK Bigfoot

Yewbender

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I use 2, 3, and 4F in the pan depending on weather and humidity. Target/plinking i use 3 or 4F. Hunting is 2 or 3F depending on which flinter as it’s easier to prime from the powder horn.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I've always used 4F for priming, mostly out of habit. I'll likely continue to do so. There have been times I had to prime with 3F and couldn't detect any difference.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
ffffg. But fffg or ffg works too. I THINK I can tell the difference between ffffg and fffg. Definitely can tell a difference between ffffg and ffg in my flintlocks.

garypl

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my priming horn filled with Null B or 4F mixed with a little 3F. Seems to work better in the high humidity in Georgia.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
@Zonie has posted a link to Larry Pletcher's study of lock timing. As @tenngun stated earlier, 4f is faster that 3f, but it takes sophisticated instrumentation to detect the difference in timing.

If your interested, those high speed camera tests were done by one of our members. Check out the posts on the forum made by a man called Larry Pletcher.
He ran the tests and wrote the articles.

Here's a link to his home directory where you can find a list of posts he's made.

I know that when I shoot my flintlocks I think that I can detect a slight delay. If I let someone else shoot my flint lock rifle, I don't hear any delay.

Art Caputo

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I use FFFG, but, when hunting, if time is a factor, or in wet conditions, I’ll prime FFFG from my horn.