Fewer topics and fewer ads

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Billnpatti, Feb 18, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 8, 2015 #41

kingsax26

kingsax26

kingsax26

45 Cal.

colorado, your taking a very near sighted view. Because it is what you believe is correct. However, you are correct, this is a place of information first and foremost. However, you aklso need something to draw them in and this forum does not have any sort of super elite status that I am aware of....and to be honest this WAS one of the best places to find saleable goods. now it sucks. the information is amazing here ...but the stuff for sale is a far bigger draw. this forum is already showing its death knell...as compared to when I joined. So thank the administrators when the only ones on it are you and them....

2. Jun 8, 2015 #42

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

Bryon,
    Claude has statistical data on the day to day forum activity.... When things become a problem he will make the necessary changes. After all it's his forum.

Well that might be a literal truth if you factor in the average age of the daily respondents.
    But to be fair consider that the newness has just simply worn off for you.

Almost sounds as if you are blaming me for something.... :hmm:

Now, let me ask you a question;
    Do you have a solution that works for everyone?
    I have thought of many solutions but, The problem is that Claude is bound by the limitations of the forum software... Now I'm sure if he won the lottery he would be able to purchase new software......but then he would lose members because of that forum change....
    :idunno:

3. Jun 8, 2015 #43

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Sorry you feel that way. I have refunded your Premium membership. It's only fair that you not pay for something you think "sucks".

I hate to see people so unhappy, so you will still be able to read the Forum, but no longer be able to post. That should relieve some of your frustration. (I know it will ease mine) :wink:

4. Jun 8, 2015 #44

Careful what you wish for. :wink:

5. Jun 9, 2015 #45

galamb

galamb

galamb

58 Cal.

Well, I'm going to hang around -

and keep sending my 18 bucks (21 bucks Canadian at the current exchange) in every year (via Paypal which I have attached to my bank account as well as my credit card - not worried about spies, big brother or hackers hiding under every rock - and Paypal insures every transaction with less red tape than your bank in most cases)

Plus love supporting a firearms forum, using their service - take that paypal. :blah:

I don't/won't list stuff for sale, even if it wasn't a major pain to send stuff back and forth across the border - but seriously, contributing to the forum, to help keep it going AND be given the privilege to sell stuff is a whopping $1.50 a month.

I paid $2.10 for my coffee on the way to work this morning (and it probably wasn't made it beans from a "fair trade" source) - but it still tastes just fine....

6. Jun 9, 2015 #46

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Thank you for your support. :thumbsup:

7. Jun 9, 2015 #47

Alden

Alden

Alden

Cannon

I shared my thoughts with Bryon and decided to do so here for everyone's benefit, once and for all. Claude and the team will no doubt modify or erase anything they feel is necessary.

I think the change follows at least two overarching notions.

One is that if it has value you charge for it. In fact, if you don't, people take it for granted and undervalue it. Creating a place for buyers and sellers to shake hands is not just convenient but powerful. And it's not like the Forum is charging a buyer's premium, collecting selling fees, nor taking commissions per se.

The second is that there's no such thing as a free lunch. The owner, etc., probably wishes more people would support their considerate efforts and become paying members. Contributing is balanced, rewarded, with a higher level of benefits. It's hard to argue that buying and selling, where money is going to be flowing, isn't one of the more compelling and obvious activities on the Forums to limit to contributing members.

There is a third, ancillary, benefit that I believe accrues to a Forum. All of them require that at least only registered "members" have access to the "classifieds." Beyond that, limiting the opportunity to paid ones, albeit a smaller population, probably makes for more serious, reputable, transactions amongst mutually "known" traders.

It is doubtful that there will be significantly fewer people on the Forums as a result. It is unclear if there will be significantly less, or at least less successful, trading.

The heart and soul of the Forum, being able to read most of my posts for free, remains intact so I'm personally not opposed to the change.

8. Jun 9, 2015 #48

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

Gems of clarity, inspiration, and wisdom come from the most unlikely people at the most unlikely times. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

9. Jun 9, 2015 #49

It's interesting how many long time members aren't willing to buy Claude one cup of coffee a month to thank him for providing them with this forum. (server space is not free)

I'm not making a value judgement, just saying that it's interesting. People can draw their own conclusions.

10. Jun 9, 2015 #50

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

I'm sure if I met claude in a bar I would buy him at least 18.00 worth of beer. :grin:

11. Jun 9, 2015 #51

bpd303

bpd303

bpd303

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I equate it to buying a bottle of good single malt scotch, that you get to drink from all year.

12. Jun 10, 2015 #52

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

You can buy good scotch for $18.00 :shocked2:

That's a long way to bend over to get it off that bottom shelf......oh look my shoe is untied. :haha:

13. Jun 10, 2015 #53

I was about to pay the 18.00 but since two of my posts got deleted for asking the value of a rifle and for posting my thoughts about an issue with a rifle I purchased I wont be joining now. Member here since 2004.

14. Jun 10, 2015 #54

You expect people to believe that after ELEVEN YEARS you were finally going to contribute? :rotf:

Enjoy the continued free-ride.

15. Jun 10, 2015 #55

shmrck1

shmrck1

shmrck1

Cannon

Bryon
    :bull: IMHO
    snake-eyes

16. Jun 10, 2015 #56

justahunter

justahunter

justahunter

32 Cal.

This place sucks nowadays..I rarely post but always read here. I still love the reading but it does suck. I even done something I swore an oath a few years ago I'd never do and thats pay a forum and join paypal. I've done both and now that I feel like I have paid for my bit of a valid said oppinion here.......,,,,,.... This place sucks.... I wish the classifieds were still free. It would start to suck a bit less then... I still can't help myself from dropping in to see whats going on though...

Todd

17. Jun 10, 2015 #57

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Well, in about an hour, you won't be posting or reading. :hatsoff:

18. Jun 10, 2015 #58

justahunter

justahunter

justahunter

32 Cal.

Pretty stand up of you to refund my money as I really appreciate that. I am truely sorry I offended you enough I had to be banned. I realize this is your house and I am a guest, I just thought once I had paid I had a bit of a say is all and I truely did not mean to disrespect even though I did probably mean to step on a toe or two. I am not begging to come back as I do think its best we part ways but just so the readers know, lots worse places to hang out than here. Hopefully I'll still be able to drop in and read a few of y'alls great hunts once in a while. Aydiose and good luck....

19. Jun 10, 2015 #59

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Nope.

The way I see it, anyone who thinks this Forum "sucks" should not visit here. It's not good for you or general morale.

I'm sure you will find a forum that doesn't suck.

20. Jun 10, 2015 #60

Guys like Jack hide behind the computer and post rude comments about people they don't even know, I still read the forum here up till now, of course they wont pull Jack's post like they did mine for no reason, I was going to pay the 18.00 so I could post in the classifieds but I won't now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.