Fewer topics and fewer ads

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Billnpatti, Feb 18, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 18, 2015 #1

Billnpatti

Billnpatti

Billnpatti

Cannon

Is it just my imagination or do we seem to have fewer subjects to discuss and fewer ads for guns and other things since the change was made to allow only premium members to place ads. I don't know if we lost a lot of previous members or they just don't bother to participate any longer since the changes. Personally, I think the changes have hurt the forum and we should go back to the way I was. So what if someone just joined to sell a gun, at least we had more things from which to choose. I think we would benefit greatly by going back to the way it was. :2

2. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Tinker2

Tinker2

Tinker2

54 Cal.

It does look that way, I find myself looking at other forums more now.

Also I notice that topics that generate a lot of interest and replies get locked

I do keep coming back though.

:pop: ”ƒ
    William Alexander

3. Feb 18, 2015 #3

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

Or its just a slow time of year and makers are busy making instead of selling.

4. Feb 19, 2015 #4

BrownBear

BrownBear

BrownBear

Cannon MLF Supporter

I'll go the other way. I find it refreshing to get away from the overnight wonders. Guys who've been around a while, you have some acquaintance, maybe an extra measure of trust.

Guys that appear suddenly at your door selling stuff?

Guy did that at our house years ago, peddling one thing or another. Neighbor's dog came over and bit him on the ass and chased him back into his car and down the driveway. I bought that dog a big old soup bone and sat there patting his head while he gnawed on it.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #5

Skychief

Skychief

Skychief

69 Cal.

:haha:

6. Mar 29, 2015 #6

Spikebuck

Spikebuck

Spikebuck

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I think the fewer subject thing is just that it's that time of year...kinda notice this toward the end of winter each year.

Regarding the classifieds I think it's been a huge degredation. We've gone from pages of stuff to look at and consider for purchase to almost nothing. At least Cutfinger's has nearly a private weekly flyer now! :wink: :rotf:

We have a lot of people on the forum that are not premium members (wish they were to support the forum) but participate a lot. Just seems like they should be able to participate in the classifieds as well. :idunno:

Perhaps it would be more trouble than the money would be worth, but maybe non-members need to pay something to place an ad instead of being banned?

7. Mar 29, 2015 #7

Billnpatti

Billnpatti

Billnpatti

Cannon

Sounds reasonable to me.

8. Mar 30, 2015 #8

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

1st add $18 then free adds for the rest of the year.

:hmm: or is it $15 well anyway, the question that is not asked is; if a new guy comes here, gets real excited about M/L and gets ripped of by one of the one post sellers, on his fist rifle, :hmm: Oh say a 45 cal with a broken ram rod farm welded rear sight, miss aliened hammer. What damage has been done?

9. Mar 30, 2015 #9

Short Arm

Short Arm

Short Arm

40 Cal.

Sorry to say that Facebook has hurt many forums. I know a few that started a FB forum and the membership drop like a rock.

10. Apr 2, 2015 #10

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Personally I would love to become a premium member....however I do not...nor will I ever have a pay pal account...and that's the only way to pay the fee. I have noticed myself looking at other sites and spending less time here, due to the fact that there seems to be less and less participation as well as less ads.

11. Apr 3, 2015 #11

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Out of curiosity, why would you want to be a Premium Member if you're spending less time here?

12. Apr 3, 2015 #12

torn moc

torn moc

torn moc

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I became a premium member when it was offered because the site was full of calssifieds and Topics were booming....I wanted to sell one article and had to pay the fee....
    Now everytime I return I see the same old listings week after week....began to think my computer was Mal adjusted......but Then realized that nowadays people are not posting classifieds numerous as before Fee days......its obvious.
    Topics seem to be on the waning side also....
    this is depressing....
    I vote for no fee classifieds...
    will everthing ever return to its Former Glory????
    I Love this site...Not Leaving....just want it like it used to be.......

13. Apr 3, 2015 #13

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

I guess I should have said "recently I've noticed myself spending less time here....if other methods of payments we accepted I would have became a premium member a long time ago"

14. Apr 3, 2015 #14

ratfacedmcdougal

ratfacedmcdougal

ratfacedmcdougal

36 Cal.

I am a member on a fly fishing forum and there you can't post on the For Sale section til you have made 25 posts. That has kept out the fly by night rod sellers. We have more than plenty of items up for sale. Sometimes too many as your item gets pushed down the list quite quickly.
    RFMcD

15. Apr 3, 2015 #15

Do you know how quickly you can copy and paste 25 "Me too" and "I agree"? :rotf: Not a deterrent.

16. Apr 3, 2015 #16

ratfacedmcdougal

ratfacedmcdougal

ratfacedmcdougal

36 Cal.

Are you saying shooting sport sellers are shadier than tackle sellers? I can't believe that. :shocked2:
    RFMcD

17. Apr 4, 2015 #17

omarick1948

omarick1948

omarick1948

62 Cal. MLF Supporter

Websites always have slow times of the year.

Sounds like many here only want a CLASSIFIED ADS SECTION, more than a Traditional Muzzle Loading website. If you think about it, the Premium Members are paying for anyone to buy their offerings. ....Think about it!

Rick

18. Apr 4, 2015 #18

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

I wonder if the complainers have realized yet .......that they, are part of the problem... and not the solution.

19. Apr 4, 2015 #19

torn moc

torn moc

torn moc

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Clyde....that statement is un logical, ,,,,
    we just want to see the FORUM Growing....not withering....problems will only be corrected when they are first discussed then addressed....

20. Apr 4, 2015 #20

roundball

roundball

roundball

Cannon

For what it's worth, the actual facts are that PayPal has become one of the safest ways to pay for anything on the Internet. In addition, another reality is that many / most Internet retailers are closet anti-gun companies as well.

With most everything having become available for purchase via the Internet, instead of giving out personal information to scores of Internet retailers, a very large percentage of them have expanded to also allow purchases via PayPal.

PayPal interacts with them, not the consumer, and in all those instances, only PayPal has the CC info...none of those other retailers ever see it or have it logged into all their systems to be hacked by somebody.

A single entity like PayPal is far safer than giving out all sorts of personal ID and credit card info to scores of unknown different places scattered all over the country every year.

So, setting that issue aside, I think an even bigger question beyond one about the classifieds, is the overall MLF membership "free ride".

If PayPal as an excuse really has no merit, what is the other reason that such a large number of members...many of whom are HIGH VOLUME POSTERS...not willing to kick in less than the cost of a cup of coffee per month to use the MLF in general ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.