• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ferguson breech threads.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Maier

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Question about the Ferguson breech threads. Are they more of a square or a V thread form? I can't see very much detail in this picture but it looks very similar to a square or acme thread.

Attachments

• Ferguson_Top-1024x726.jpg
    Ferguson_Top-1024x726.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 76
actually, I believe it is one thread per inch, 10 starts or lead/pitch....

of course I could be wrong??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

actually, I believe it is one thread per inch, 10 starts or lead/pitch....

of course I could be wrong??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I had heard it was 11 TPI, 11 starts. But yes, each thread had its own lead, which is what allowed the breech to be opened with a single rotation of the trigger guard.

I had heard it was 11 TPI, 11 starts. But yes, each thread had its own lead, which is what allowed the breech to be opened with a single rotation of the trigger guard.
Think the originals were 11, but my mind "thinks" I remember the replicas being made with a 1 pitch 10 start thread?
but then again its been said I have lost my mind!! :doh:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

anyway I look at it, my lil lathe won't cut that pitch :( unless I do some fancy gear switching out on the banjo..
and then I'd probably have to hand crank it?? cuz I'm not sure at it's slowest speed I could keep up with the carriage
traveling that fast ..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I know my lathe won't cut one TPI, and I don't know what lathe would, unless I could program it on a CNC. CNC machines are very expensive though.

I had worked up a gear set to try it on my lathe, but haven't had the time to cut gears or get someone with a 3D printer
to make a set .. and the lead screw one is gonna end up a special made and have only one specific purpose...

I might save up for an old Pratt and Whitney. I don't have knowledge of designing gears or how to calculate gear ratios.

The Late Ernest Cowan made up five or so Fergusson's The Breach of one bore Mr Hoyts stamp perhaps these plugs could be had from Hoyts.?. The breach end shown looks like they are produced by some firm and others have made them before CNC came in .Its a quantity issue no doubt . It would be of interest to many but how many is a question and aside of the novelty what real use would a plethora of Fergusson's be anyway ? .
Though my guess is few serious gun makers could resist making one up .
I made a 'Turn Off' flint BL rifle used it hunting concluded while powerful its slowness in reloading was against it and the muzzle loader a better option . I once shot 13 shots inside 20 minets allowed in the completion for' breech loaders' was inside the time but outside the placings against cartridge rifles , But the ideal conditions of a range are not so easily duplicated in the bush / field .
Conclusion ? ' Never catch on' still intrigues me anyway.
Rudyard

For me, its historical interest. The Ferguson is unusual and represents a concept that was ahead of its time. I'd never want to make them in quantity, just one for myself.

Latest posts

Back