• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fed-Ex Truck Just Drove Away

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Miller

36 Cal.
Reaction score
He dropped off a box from Graf & Sons. I've been shooting Swiss ffg and fffg in my rifles and handgun. My last order was mostly ffg. I didn't know fffg was used in 45, 50 and 54 until I joined this forum. I ordered Swiss again in both grades, but also picked up Olde Eynsford ffg for my conicals and a few cans of Grafs fffg to for my 1860 and my 32 rifle. I want to slow my 32 down a bit if I can get a good load that doesn't foul a bunch. Grafs was out of a bunch of the Goex grades. I really wanted to buy the USA manufactured powder for my day to day shooting. Wonder if they are trying to get me hooked on their name brand stuff. From all accounts its good powder and it was certainly cheaper.Anyway I play around with loads and see what I like.

I stopped into the physical address in Mexico, MO and got some powder last week:

20170310_195210.jpg

I avoided the shipping cost and hazmat fees that way. :)

Your way overthinking it. Or are you just bragging about getting powder shipments to California?
Gary Miller said:
I want to slow my 32 down a bit if I can get a good load that doesn't foul a bunch.
Use less powder, and learn to wipe the bore for accuracy. The information is here.
Anyway I play around with loads and see what I like.
That's the game. If your still experimenting with powder and charges you sure don't need any Swiss 3F till you learn how to use a standard powder.

Yeah, I worded it poorly. I really needed fffg and wanted to try Olde Enysford. They were out of the Goex O.E. fffg, So I ordered the Grafs and beefed up my Swiss also. Trying to build my stash and compare a few powders in the process.

Bragging or overthinking? Probably a little of both. If I don't toot my own horn nobody else will. Actually I'm trying to find a 32 load for my rifle that will not blow a squirrel apart. The barrel is still breaking in so I need to shoot it a bit more and when I settle on a load, file the sight to it, that's it. I really don't need the faster powder or price if I can find a cheaper one with reasonable fouling.

As for over thinking, I under thunk when buying my first batch, all ffg and 1 can fffg. I thought rifles shot ffg. So that makes me a bragging under thinker I guess :v

Yeah,, Lol,,
Swiss is a sporting grade powder, always has been and others are trying to copy it.
So if you've been using Swiss 3F while learning BP guns,(?)
I did the same thing a long time ago. That Swiss 3F is still sitting in my locker and I started looking for Swiss 1.5.
In the mean time I found 2F goex and Trp7 2F and learned my guns.
I guess my point is there really isn't a magic powder to purchase and use that will give you the best performance until you learn what your gun like with all of the variables.
Pick one,, stick with it and experiment with the other stuff. Fine tuning a load to a specific powder is almost the easiest part of load development.

Sounds like you have lots of stuff to experiment with. Don't let some of the wet blankets on here dampen your fun and enthusiasm. Half the fun of any gun is playing around with different loads for them. More kinds of powder is just more reasons to shoot more. Let us know how it works out.

I started looking for Swiss 1.5.

I had a can of Swiss 1.5 Fg. It was near impossible to ignite with my flinters. Gave most of the pound away. Later learned it is intended for use in black powder cartridges where hotter primers are used. Not comparable with other Swiss grades of bp.

Ames said:
I was waiting for someone to ask about the first line. He just dropped the box off and drove away? No signature req.?
You might be surprised now a days..... The same thing happened to me, I got a warning text from Fed Ex that they was coming on a certain day, text said if it was ok to simply drop of text back YES .. Lol... Gotta love it!

Gary Miller said:
He dropped off a box from Graf & Sons. I've been shooting Swiss ffg and fffg in my rifles and handgun. My last order was mostly ffg. I didn't know fffg was used in 45, 50 and 54 until I joined this forum. I ordered Swiss again in both grades, but also picked up Olde Eynsford ffg for my conicals and a few cans of Grafs fffg to for my 1860 and my 32 rifle. I want to slow my 32 down a bit if I can get a good load that doesn't foul a bunch. Grafs was out of a bunch of the Goex grades. I really wanted to buy the USA manufactured powder for my day to day shooting. Wonder if they are trying to get me hooked on their name brand stuff. From all accounts its good powder and it was certainly cheaper.Anyway I play around with loads and see what I like.

Nice haul...Got a chronograph???

Olde Enisford shoots as hot as swiss no b.s.

20 gr. powder 2f goex is more than enough for squirrels...Learning how to head shoot them helps too.

Ka-Boom!

Sometimes they have a lot of work and they have to complete the task, just, for example, I am a towing truck driver at Manhattan 24 Hour Towing, sometimes we received a lot of orders so we have to achieve the task so we try to provide the best service in less time.

Hey Gary, you're fine.... you need to shoot the damn thing, (which you know) before you worry too much about anything. Been through the whole process myself, up to finely tuning a load for accuracy and filing sights.

Enjoy. BTW, I would never use ffg in a .32 cal, (too small,in MHO,) stick with fffg. Just my 2 centavos.

I was talking with Wade Inghram (Inghram Under Hammer's) about powders. He said he shot 2F in everything he made and shot. Pistols and rifles, .32 through 12 gauge.

Folks often over think things.

Well I normally shoot O.E. 3F in both my 40 and my 32. While back I bought some of the Graf & Son 3F black powder. It is not quite as peppy as the O.E., but I haven't shot through the chronograph to get a real comparison yet. I shot the other day and it was like 92 degrees and 90% humidity. I tried both powders and really didn't notice any difference in fouling in these adverse conditions. They were both fairly gooey/gummy. But for the price difference of almost 5 bucks a pound I like the Graf & Son which is Wano powder by the way.
Good day, Gordy

I placed an order with Graf and Sons on a Friday morning and my shipment showed up Saturday morning by FedEx AND signature WAS required..... I'm 3 hours one way from Graf, but I could not sacrifice a 6 hour drive that particular week....

Back