• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FCI Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nb4j

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone have any dealings with FCI Barrels in KY? I placed an order for a custom barrel and then another order for a trade gun barrel. It has been three years since the first order and coming up on 2 years since the second order. I do not have either barrel and he is no longer answering emails. Last contact was by phone and was told my order had fallen through the cracks but was going to be moved to the head of the line. That was last fall. When I call now all I get is the answering machine. I know custom work can take a while but...

Never ordered from them. Have had their flyer for a year or so. Talked to them at the CLRA show last year at Joe Wheeler Lodge, Rogersville , AL. Seemed like nice folks. I just talked to them today about available twist. Answered on the second ring. Try em now. 606-7807709
Dave

I have dealt with Charley and never have
had a problem. He usually has a lead time of 3 months. He's a good guy and produces very high quality barrels.

Update. left messages. Got an email today that the custom order is ready and the trade gun barrel will be here by the end of the month. I look forward to get them.

That is a similar experience to what I had. I ordered a barrel April of 2014 and I didn't get it until May of 2016. (He advertised a 6 month lead time, which I found reasonable and acceptable at the time.) He had lots of reasons why the delay in between. 2 more months. 2 more months, which went on for a year and a half. Some of those reasons I found plausible and some I didn't, but he always had one. When the barrel finally go to me it was bent. (I didn't notice that until I finished the build and shot it 2 years later.) He offered to have me send it back to him for straightening but after the experience in getting it in the first place, I didn't think it prudent to trust him again, so I did it myself.

How does it shoot? Fair is about as generous as I can describe it. It took over 150 shots before it ever quit shredding patches and I could even find out. Yes, I tried everything on the patching and lube side first.

I went with him because as far as I could find out, he was about the only guy out there that could make a 48" A weight barrel (at the time). As far as I know, he's still about the only guy that makes some of the "odd calibers" like a 30, 34, 38, 42, 44, 48, 52 etc, and the only one that puts a little "choke" in his rifle barrels (.003"). Some swear that that makes them more accurate, but I haven't been able to wring it out yet to find out. He also can do gain twist rifling, and I don't think any others are offering that as an option, not that you really need it in the first place. Did I "need" an odd caliber like a 38, or a 48" barrel? No. Did I WANT one? Yes. Why? "Just because" is about as cogent an answer as I can give. I "wanted" to build a gun with a barrel from all the somewhat major barrel manufacturers; Colerain, Douglas, Rice, Oregon, Green Mountain, FCI, Getz. Now I have one done from FCI.

Last edited:
I chose him for the custom barrel because of the lead time. I was rebarrelling a gun I have for one of my grandchildren. I have since brought her another gun because of the delay. I didn't want her to lose interest in the hobby. I chose him for the trade gun barrel because he is one of the few that actually contour the barrel to the gauge. This build is also for a grandchild. So long as the barrels are satisfactory, they will get used. I have eleven grands so ....... I will post again at the end of the month when the barrels arrive.

I ordered two smooth bore pistol barrels with a special contour. He mentioned a 6 month ship time, which turned out to be correct, and the barrels were good quality and as ordered. So, no complaints here.

Update: Received the barrels Monday. While delivery was later than promised (3 years), the barrels are excellent workmanship, better than I expected. Now to get started on building.

Back