• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Target for Load Development

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a HUGE roll of white butcher paper about 15 years ago. I hung it in the garage so it pulls down just like a paper towel would. I pull down a long 6' (?) piece and cut it off with my pocket knife. At the range I use whatever size I need and staple one or more 3" orange dots, which are the only targets I've had to buy in all those years.

Shoot and See are my favorites

might not be traditional, but I don't have to walk down range every few shots to get an idea where I am hitting
:)

older eyes and all
I’ll admit that I like the shoot-n-see targets. But they tend to get scratched up and the black really flakes off once that happens.

The company I work for has a ton of scrap paper from printing construction drawings. It’s 36” x varying length. Use that and stick on dots or I just draw a circle for the bullseye. Yeah, I’m cheap.

NMLRA 3 or 6 bull targets.
Size is about 24x30
100 targets for $30 - or use to be.

Generally it is recommended to use, at least, 50 yards for load development. But, I'll modify that a bit. Start at 25 yards from a rest to learn where your sights are pointing. If you are on paper, move back to 50 yards. Traditional wisdom is to begin with a load that equals your caliber. e.g. 50 cal./50 grains real bp. Shoot five shot groups and increase charge by 5 grains until your group closes to where you want it. As said by others, the target need not be fancy. Paper plate with a felt tip marker 'X' or targets from Walmart are just fine. Good shootin'
Excellent advice. Load development should be methodical changing only one variable at a time; that being the amount of powder. Keep the patch material and lube the same for every shot and do not adjust the sights, that comes later.

I'm also a fan of the Shoot n See type targets, especially the stick on targets. Normal paper targets just don't allow me to see the holes made.

Last edited:
I get my targets (boxes) from our local CO-OP feed stores’ cardboard bin. I’m cheap too.

Back