• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine would have to be my only. A homemade matchlock 12 gauge. It goes off every time when I do things right but I can't hit much with it. I'll do some more shooting and experimenting when we get some rain here and I don't have to freak out about starting a fire. Also after some hunting seasons that are keeping me busy for a few more weeks. If my wife was a little more understanding I would have a NW trade gun.

I only have one at the moment, actually just got it back from a friend. It's a numrich hopkin and Allen underhammer, has a 30" round smoothbore barrel on it. Bore is .680 so about 15ga I should take some pictures .

I did have a cool little .410 bore I sold to a member here,

A type G I built from a Mike Brooks kit. About 6 ½ pounds, 20ga x 48” Hoyt barrel.
33BB42A3-1172-4420-9AE1-CA3791DE5155.jpeg

A homemade matchlock 12 gauge. It goes off every time when I do things right but I can't hit much with it.
FWIW that matchlock should be capable of better accuracy than a flintlock, given equivalent barrels & loads, as the ignition is INSTANTANEOUS! The Germans/Austrians match shooters stayed with matchlocks well after flintlocks were popular, as the ignition system was faster.

I have a .62 cal Trade gun Made by Curly Gostomski, barrel if I remember 41-42". Shoots very well.

I have a .62 cal Trade gun Made by Curly Gostomski, barrel if I remember 41-42". Shoots very well.
I have one of the 10, 12 gauge fowler's that he and ERMA ever built. at first he used LOTT LOCKS that were made in ITALY and he used the locks on all of his guns, then changed because of the problem with soft metal I believe. he and her were 20 gauge gun makers. sadly both now dead.

Back