• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Shot Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#5 for squirrels, rabbits, and crows, I’m not a bird hunter so I haven’t had the need to use anything else, #5 seems a good all around size, hits hard, kills good, easy to find and pick out of meat when cleaning.

Bismuth 4's for ducks, squirrels and rabbits. Bismuth 2's and 0's 0.167 for geese. Just bought a T shot size 0.20 in a gang mold from Marty's Arms to use on the river for geese as well. I use Bismuth 7's for dove and quail. I like having options😁

For squirrel, it doesn't really matter that much. I mostly shoot #5, so that is what I use on squirrel. It normally passes completely through. I don't use either shot type you mention anymore. Lawrence or Westcoast Magnum shot is the only thing I buy. There is no good place to buy shot anymore. You buy it on sale if possible. I don't think I've used the same supplier twice in a row since shot doubled in price 2011ish.

Where are you guys sourcing your shot these days? I haven't had to buy shot for several years but the last time I did I went through Ballistic Products.
Same here. I have several bags that I bought, plus inherited a few bags from relatives who passed away, so I've got enough to last me a while. . Our local hardware/gun store sells it but they've not had much recently.

Well I have to shoot non toxic shot whenever I hunt Wheeler Wildlife Refuge and Redstone Arsenal since it is federal land. I make most but not all of my bismuth shot myself. It boils down to personal opinion for each and every individual 😉

In 1973 , got bored with modern competition trap shooting after 12 years of it. Reloaded all my own hunting shells . This experience allowed me to experiment extensively , with different shot sizes before starting to exclusively use b/p shot guns.
The only statement about shot sizes learned from this experience is , I like to use one shot size larger for different game than is recommended for cartridge shot shells. Favorite type of shot is copper plated. .250 card wads fall out of the shot pattern quickly for dense patterns in black powder as well............oldwood

I like #5 shot for squirrel and rabbit, bigger fur animals like raccoon and fox, and for Turkey I go to #4 shot, mostly I use one of my Fusil de Chasse 20ga. fusils, or side x side smoothbores.
For the best patterns and ranges I build my loads using fiber cushion wads and nitro cards for over powder and over shot wads, it's well worth the extra expense and loading time, and always use 3-fg powder.

I used to load shotgun shells for unmentionables and have about a half of a one pound coffee can with six shot in it. I fell into a 20 ga capgun and decided I was going to shoot it some so I bought a 25 pound bag of 7-1/2 shot at the local sportsmans warehouse. I live in Az and I can use lead shot. I don't shoot it much though so I think I have a lifetime supply of size six and seven and a half shot. I would us either on doves, quail, rabbits or any varmints I might run into if I was going to hunt. I'm not in love with shooting BP shotguns but will do it every once in a while.

I like #5 shot for squirrel and rabbit, bigger fur animals like raccoon and fox, and for Turkey I go to #4 shot, mostly I use one of my Fusil de Chasse 20ga. fusils, or side x side smoothbores.
For the best patterns and ranges I build my loads using fiber cushion wads and nitro cards for over powder and over shot wads, it's well worth the extra expense and loading time, and always use 3-fg powder.
Would u be able to give me ur exact load? I’m interested in using 20 gauge Fowler recently purchased for turkey. Also u use magnum lead shot ? Is it safe to use copper plated?

I like 7.5 for small game like rabbits, grouse, and ptarmigan. I find the 6 shot results in more blood shot meat and broken bone/ bone splinters in thinned skin game. In my younger days when I lived in Pa. I liked 6 shot for grey squirrels and pheasants, 7.5 for cottontails, grouse, and woodcock although I took a fair amount of squirrels with it too.

Maybe someone here should give folks some time to answer his question,,,,,, that he had already posted in multiple forums. Both twice as his own duplicate topics and as a reply in a few other topics like this 🙄

Might compare prices with RotoMetals. Hit the threshold and they pay shipping. Also, for those close and quick shots at quail, dove, and timberdoodle you might try using reclaimed shot. Opens the pattern up a bit.

Most of my small game hunting is done with my 24 gauge, a re-bored .50 Renegade. I use #5 shot exclusively, it has enough energy to break bones and it patterns well. My standard load is 60 grains of 3F and 1-1/8 oz. of shot, thogh I up the powder to 70 gr. and the shot to 1-1/4 oz. for turkey. In the past, when using unmentionables, I used #5's, same as my dad did. He told me that they would pattern almost as well as 6's but had almost the penetration of 4's. He was right about that, he was a pretty smart guy! Sure do miss him.............

Back