• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Production Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I have a few build rifles I have a soft spot for production guns. I have 3 Tennessee Mountain Rifles in .50 and am working on bringing a 32 home. (This S model is very special and I can’t wait to share it.) Of the 50s my favorite is #133, she has a walnut stock, 7/8 barrel and a
drop of 4.5 inches she weighs in at 7.6 pounds almost 2 pounds lighter then her younger siblings. I love Hatfields, I have 6 (I’ll probably end up with 16 or so to complete the collection) including 3 “irons”, mountain rifle #24 in .50 and a Missouri River Rifle Works Hatfield that is very different from the others. My favorite of the bunch is the .45 that tips the scales at 6.8 pounds. I have a Browning in .50 that’s a great wet weather hunter and a GPR .54 flint browned just because.

This question to me in my case is kind of silly. I have only owned two different makes of traditional rifles. I had a CVA 54 cal when I was about 10 or 12. Now I have Thompson Hot Rods. I honestly don't know where the CVA went. But I'm glad it's gone.
I would love to get some experience with a Gibbs or a Whitworth or Missouri River Hawken to make a comparison.
For me to say I like Thompson Hawken's and Renegades more is not really fair? All my rifles resemble the Thompson rifles but to be honest they are not. They are all Hot Rod's.
They are not factory rifles.

1. Cabelas custom by Investarms .54
2. TC Hawken flint. .54 GM barrel
3. TC Hawken perc. 50
4. CVA mountain rifle .50
5. Adessa mountain rifle .54
6. Investarms carbine. .54 and .50 barrels
of all the Ardessa and the TC flint shoot the best with the stainless next followed by the carbine.
which is my favorite? the one in my hands making smoke! though i have been offered crazy money for the carbine and just smiled.
20220122_172006.jpg

I’ve only ever had two traditional ML’s. A CVA Hawken and Lyman GPR. Of the two I favor the GPR.

Production guns.

Almost everything made by Thompson Center. My first, man was she sweet, a T/C .50 percussion Hawken purchased about 1975. I still have her, she broke me in, taught me a lot and killed my first muzzle loading deer. I've since added both a .45 and .54 version. The .45 might just be my favorite to shoot for pure enjoyment. I'm also right fond of my T/C PA Hunter Carbine, a handy little piece. These offering just scratch the surface if my experience with T/C guns.

I'm fortunate to own a number of muzzleloading guns, then I've been at this for over 45 years. My collection, obsession is more like it, includes a mix of custom, semi-custom and production models. I have owned a few CVA guns over the years, a couple of Parker Hales, Lyman and a few others. The one production gun I haven't owned, short of my Lyman Trade rifle, is anything made by Investment Arms. With T/C now long out of the traditional muzzleloader market I've been eyeing I/A's offerings. I need another muzzleloader like the proverbial hole in the head but I'd really like to experience how these might perform.

Muzzleloaders, you gotta love 'em.

Until I got my 2 CVA's - .45 Paramount & .45 Accura V2 which now both make my fav's list, only 2 were on that list for me. TC Omega is my fav production ML period! I got a TC High Plains Sporter .50 that I absolutely love. I have no desire to shoot .50 PRB's in a 1:60 twist barrel though. So I'm having a .40 fast twist longer barrel made for it as well as a .410 shotgun barrel. That is my fav sidelock by far. Ever! I'm not at all a " traditional " guy as one can easily see from my fav's list. BUt I've always been pretty lathered up over the Gibbs & Rigby & Whitworth sidelocks. They all belong on a " fav's " list IMHO.

The ROA and an older browned Pedersoli SxS 20 in great shape are a pleasure just to sit and hold in my hands.

wm
I just got an ROA a few months ago. I just got more T7fff & found some 220gr Kaido bullets for it. They are awesome & shoot incredibly well. I absolutely love that pistol & bullet combo. I dont do round balls in anything & havent in over 30yrs. I got a Pedersoli 12ga SxS a cpl yrs ago. Its an older model with 30" barrels & a recoil pad. Its very well made & handles great. I just can't get anywhere close to the patterns I want out of it. Still some more learning to do with it. But damn fine BP shotgun nonetheless.

I have five ml all production.

12 ga Piette Navy arms sxs
.45 Investarms ( one with the fancy patch box) hawken style
.50 TC Hawken with GM barrel uncle kit built
.50 Tradions Kentucky I built from kit.
Richland Arms 1858 Remington

Love em all!

i have a traditions ky rifle and a deerhunter both 50 cal flints and a 50 cal tc renegade percussion. after tweaking the traditions locks i can say all 3 are reliable and accurate shooters.

Back