• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Possibles Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťfor the welt. Especially if your going to see inside out.
Many old bags seem to be simple envelopes sewed on the outside. So you don’t have seam stress on the joint. Welt anyway it adds a lot of strength

Welts are also especially needed when folks go with thinner leathers, no matter if they are sewn inside out or not.

Gus

P.S. Darn it I forgot something in my earlier post.

When I make a two piece strap, I almost always make/include a "sliding loop" that goes over the rear strap and the part of the strap that comes through the buckle and and lays over the rear strap. Though not a very common feature found on the tiny number of original 18th century pouches extant, I think it is useful and a very nice touch. Sometimes I attach/sew the loop to the rear strap so it doesn't slide, especially if not much strap is left over after it comes through the buckle. Sliding loops were common on British Military Slings and some Waist Belts, so it is a period item, though not normally found on civilian Shot Pouches.

Gus

Last edited:
It really depends on what exactly you are willing to spend to get the quality you want.I once bought a cheap leather bag that I thought would go well on my hunting trips but guess what! It got torn up after a few months and I wasn't happy for sure. That's when one of the group leaders showed me his leather office bag from Italian leather and this beauty had survived 10 years on his excursions. I just had to go and buy one for myself for that price.

Here is mine... I made it with my ancestral Whiteside family tartan inlayed!

GREY: for the border lance used to provide for the Clan.
BROWN: for all the cattle we liberated from the oppressions of other clans.
WHITE: for the Whiteside name.
RED: for all the thankless blood we bleed in all fields of War for the last 1000 Years.

AAAAARG!

101835983_3146977671989756_3639352001533313024_n.jpg
101944966_3146977815323075_1931704993560133632_n.jpg

Last edited:
This is my current hunting bag. My brother in law brought it over from Germany years back. The strap came from Dixon’s gunmakers fair, I don’t recall the weavers name. I added a pocket on the inside, and there is a small pocket on the front under the flap
7A64782B-F3BD-4708-9B80-60CFAA13CFA6.jpeg

Latest posts

Back