• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Hunting and NON-Hunting caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.54 and .54
It is all you need! A .58 will take anything but some find it harsh to shoot? I find anything under .54 just doesn't cut it for me? The .54 will take just about anything even works for small animals as well.

I love to plink inside of 50 yards to help keep shooting skills sharp and love squirrel hunting also so my 32 Seneca and Cherokee get the most use. I bought a 54 Caliber TC Renegade on here to Deer Hunt with last year which shoots really well unfortunately no shot but I have decided to hunt with it in regular gun season this year to give me more field time with it.

I prefer .54 for hunting big game. Ive got a .32 caliber up and running so am going to enjoy that on squirrels this fall. For targets, its whatever Im target shooting with. Target shooting muzzleloaders is a prelude to hunting for me anyway so it goes back to those calibers I mentioned.

For me that's gonna be .54 for just about everything you call "favorite"
That said - I have and enjoy a variety from .36 to .75. I don't cut any of them out of a day of having fun at the range or the ranch.

54 is what I've got in a rifle. I would love to see a table of barrel weights by manufacturer and caliber. Every smaller caliber rifle I've picked up so far weighs more than my 54. Sort of same barrel and less weight of metal taken out syndrome.

I do well with my 54. But I am a long time upland unmentionable hunter and am possibly too conscious of gun weight. A heavy rifle in the 30 calibers just offends me.

54 is what I've got in a rifle. I would love to see a table of barrel weights by manufacturer and caliber. Every smaller caliber rifle I've picked up so far weighs more than my 54. Sort of same barrel and less weight of metal taken out syndrome.

I do well with my 54. But I am a long time upland unmentionable hunter and am possibly too conscious of gun weight. A heavy rifle in the 30 calibers just offends me.

1"x36"s
50 6.3#
54 5.9
58 5.6

Latest posts

Back