Favorite clothing sutlers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm interested in acquiring some mid-eighteenth century shirts, "hunting" shirts, and breeches. I'd like to be as historically accurate as I can, without breaking the bank. Was just curios as to what your favorite sutlers are for such things. I'd like to go with linen for the shirts. Any input you gentlemen could give would be very much appreciated.

~Ron

jethro224

Reaction score
Bell and Co. get's a big :thumbsup: from me.
They have a starter outfit you might want to take a look at.

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks Swampy and Jethro. I'll give them a looksee. I've never heard of them before. :thumbsup:

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I like Bell and Company as well. I also have purchsed from Jas. Townshend.

I'd also like to point out Historic Seams.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I would also recommend to take a look at Bell & Co. and Historic Seams, I have been happy with some shirts and accesories from both, below is a link to many vendors, though it is not updated and some are kaput, if you see someything you like there are probably some folks who could give a "rating" on the vendor/item in question

http://www.1stroyals.org/links.html

Last edited by a moderator:

brewyak

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Check out Yesteryear, Barb does some really nice work. I have a pair of breeches, and a shirt from her. She is located in Shirmensdale PA, and has many years of exp. Highly recommend

D Sanders

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just ordered a starter outfit from Bell and co. haven't got it yet but I have herd good things about them. Price didn't seem too bad. You might check them out.

HH 60

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks fellas for all the links and suggestions! Bell and Co. Does have some nice stuff! And I'll check out the others too. I'm perusing the Jas. Townsend catalog I have here. I just want to keep it as common a look as possible. Linen shirt, linen or Osnaburg "Hunting" shirt, breeches, and I kinda like gaiters as opposed to leggins. Maybe a weskit, down the road. I'm thinking I like the "fly front" breeches for an early look. Just thinkin out loud here. Thank you all for the help! :hatsoff:

Reaction score
http://www.hamiltondrygoods.com/ ..... Mostly 19th century stuff, but they carry knee pants (have a pair that's going on 5+ years of reenacting & trekking!!) longhunter shirts, knee socks and hi-lo trekkers. Great customer service, decent prices and on time delivery!!
HIGHLY recommend them!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a pair of wool fly front knee britches from Townsend that I bought ten years ago and they have held up very well and I give them a workout hunting in the brush most every year as I alternate between the breeches and a clout and leggins, now and then I wear the leggins over the breeches but not often as it is usually to warm, I have had quite a few articles of cloting from Townsend over the years and have never been dissapointed with any of it, some feel that their stuff is not quite spot on PC/HC but it has been at a level I am comfortable with, this is an individual choice issue I believe, they are quick to ship and have good customer relationship abilities from my experience.

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks ranger, kapellmeister, and tg. I do like Jas. Townsend's stuff too, and their prices seem pretty good. Just looked at Barkertown's website too, andd there stuff looks like its really well made. I especially like their "hunting coat"! What would be a common color for a mid 18th century common man's shirt? If there is any such thing.

Maestro

Reaction score
BigDogg said:
What would be a common color for a mid 18th century common man's shirt? If there is any such thing.

The most common would be natural linen... bleached white would be common too. Indigo was a common dye... (blue checked linen weave is well documented).

Reaction score
With 3 white linen shirts to my name, I decided to add a check. It should be woven as a check & not printed & I finally found a woven, small check linen (natural & indigo) at one of the vendors at Fort Fred. Later I found some more at a rural fabric store. Its out there if you search.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a natural linen and a blue shecked 1/4" checks, woven not printed, I think these were pretty common, I have seen lists (Spence?) with numerous colors mentioned though.I do not recall the guys name who made the checked shirt, he did not have a website and was a small scale type vendor.

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks Coot and tg. Would a linen shirt be more likely to have the woven checkers over a cotton shirt? Or does it depend on the vendor?

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I really do not have the abswer to that be it in reference to todays suppliers or the hisotrical availablity, from the history angle cotton is being accepted more and more but I do not know how far this went into various types of items and cloth

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks tg, I may just stick with a solid natural linen. I like the looks of it, and they look like they'd age well in the woods.

Latest posts