• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Although the Bucks County LR shown below was made and sold long ago, I was fortunate in taking a few pics enabling me to view it every so often. It was one of my early attempts at making a BC LR and is not altogether correct.

Do other builders have their favorite? Would like to see them......Fred

Hi Fred,
Very nice indeed! You have a wonderful and distinctive style and that is what true artists demonstrate. I love the soft carving. I said this several times before, but it is very rococo. I can visualize your carving cast in some precious metal and worn by Madame de Pompadour or any one of the great European ladies from the mid 18th century, or carved on the corners of some fine piece of furniture or picture frame. Of course, it looks great on your guns too. :)

dave

That is a really nice rifle Fred.

My "favorite" is my very first solo build, everything in the world is wrong with it but it was the build that started it for me, the first time a project "spoke" to me

Here is my contribution to this thread......
IMG_0211_zpsgbdfahep.jpg

IMG_0212_zpsuwkov1q9.jpg

IMG_0214_zpsytcrnzfu.jpg

IMG_0213_zps8ghdycyc.jpg

IMG_0221_zps72e1364b.jpg

Thanks for posting pics of a very nice LR....my first wasn't as good. Really like the fine Pbox inletting. How many more have you built since this one?

Posted my pics to engender other builders to post pics of theirs. Always am hesitant to post pics because it might be construed as "patting myself on the back".....which it certainly isn't.

This LR was the last of 3 to be sold through TOW's consignment sales. Although TOW's cut is 33%, it was worth it because of the exposure. It's excellent advertising for unknown builders and had no problems w/ TOW. The 1st pic was taken by TOW.

Thanks to all for the kind words.....Fred

Hi,
Again, beautiful gun, Fred, and nice job, ApprenticeBuilder. I don't really have a favorite because I love and hate all my creations. However, I do have some guns that were my favorite experiences when building them. As you guys know, my projects vary and relate to some historical subject for which I get obsessed at the time. I build guns not to relive the past but to try to understand it and immerse myself in the decorative arts of the times. Below are a few pictures of my latest 1750s English rifle, early New England fowler, cased English duelling pistols, and 17th century French fowling gun. Finally, the carving on a long rifle inspired by John Noll. The owner had no idea that I would include the cross in the Noll inspired carving design. Although I am not religious, the owner is devout, and he cried when he saw the cross. It was one of the best days of my life. All projects involved extensive research and learning new skills and designs. They were complete obsessions and immersions, and it was those processes that brought me greatest joy, not the guns themselves.

dave

Silver%20English%20rifle%201_zps4odezitf.jpg

Silver%20English%20Rifle%205_zpsqsu9o9v6.jpg

Silver%20English%20Rifle%206_zpsi5gjgyzf.jpg

Silver%20English%20Rifle%207_zpsbirmpsvs.jpg

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%202_zpsalluzk2d.jpg

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%203_zpsabut0f8o.jpg

Chemerkas%20fowler%20finished%207_zpslbylwoky.jpg

Johns%20Dueling%20pistols%206-15%208_zpsop4m5oe1.jpg

Johns%20Dueling%20pistols%206-15%204_zpscopb9ldw.jpg

Johns%20Dueling%20pistols%206-15%201_zpsmw3ltbu0.jpg

earlyfowlersideplate.jpg

earlyfowlerbuttsideplateview.jpg
earlyfowlerlockdetails2.jpg

Ralphs%20Noll%203_zpsmcsazm8g.jpg

The guns posted by Dave display artistry that is an innate talent which most of us don't have. Add an inquisitiveness and versatility along w/ his "big" talent and the results are displayed in his pics....Fred

Thanks Fred,

I have looked to your work for inspiration for years as you are not afraid to take the wood off. As a matter of fact I've been using the forums (here and ALR) as an apprenticeship since 2006, everything from charcoal pack case hardening to how to get enough wood off and where to remove it from.

As far as the braggart issue I don't much worry about it, I like to see the pics and figure it's only right to share.

My first build (not pictured) was a collaborative effort under the watchful eye of my mentor, it truly is a mess, but I'll shoot it at rondy until I can build a better one.

The pictured rifle was finished in '07 and is one of five firearms that I have done or am currently working on, I have been putting them together for the family as I work out some of the finer points and develop my style.

33% :shocked2:

Thanks Dave, have admired your works as well.

Back