• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favored Materials for Field Ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see the positives about having an unbreakable rod for hunting. Everything changes for me in the moments just before through just after shooting a deer, so having one less thing to potentially go wrong is not a bad idea. I have a new to me, T/C Seneca incoming that from the photos has what I assume to be a brown Delrin rod. If I could source a Hickory rod with the correct fittings, I'd probably switch just because it's prettier, but I think Delrin is what some Senecas came with. I use a stainless steel rod at range, so the rod that lives under the barrel would not get much use--just for potential follow up shots when hunting.

French, this is an oft repeated thread subject here. In the past several members have told stories of their being injured by broken/split hickory rods. As for back in the day, those so injured may have died slow agonizing deaths before they were able to post the experience online. Just go ahead and break a hickory rod deliberately. You will see for yourself how sharp and pointy the ends can be. That is very real danger, especially if in the woods alone. OTOH, you could suffer such and injury and die a slow, agonizing death yerself. That would be real pc.

Wow!

The lengths some will go to to justify their choices. I don't care what YOU use, what I do not like is people vilifying hickory rods and trying to scare the newbies to death.

Slow agonizing death indeed, I have been using hickory ramrods for 40 plus years in everything from 32 to 62 calibers and have yet to break one and there are a lot of other guys on this site as well who have done similar. As said earlier still have the original ramrod in my 32.

If you do not want to learn the traditional ways of doing things properly that's on you but don't blame the equipment.

Top one is maple. Bottom is ramin that came with a pre-carved stock. Sandpaper caught on a raised flake on the ramin which split with little effort. The maple was on a rifle for years. I just flexed it a little one day and it popped. I was in the millwork business for 40 years and so had a good source of hardwoods. I made many hickory rods and consider them to be the best. An easy fitting ball and a short grip is the best way to avoid an injury with a wooden rod.

Attachments

• 7FA2C1C3-0217-416A-B4A5-FE3711B8448B.jpeg
    7FA2C1C3-0217-416A-B4A5-FE3711B8448B.jpeg
    716.7 KB · Views: 0
I can see the positives about having an unbreakable rod for hunting. Everything changes for me in the moments just before through just after shooting a deer, so having one less thing to potentially go wrong is not a bad idea. I have a new to me, T/C Seneca incoming that from the photos has what I assume to be a brown Delrin rod. If I could source a Hickory rod with the correct fittings, I'd probably switch just because it's prettier, but I think Delrin is what some Senecas came with. I use a stainless steel rod at range, so the rod that lives under the barrel would not get much use--just for potential follow up shots when hunting.
TOTW has a hickory replacement rod for the Seneca, I bought one for my Traditions .36 frontier. It's the same size and looks really good. I have a derlin rod I got from Log Cabin Shop I use as a range rod, but I would not hesitate to use the hickory when hunting. I have the original rod I got with my Renegade almost 50 years ago and to say I abused it is not an exception. Nothing like a good piece of hickory.

TOTW has a hickory replacement rod for the Seneca, I bought one for my Traditions .36 frontier. It's the same size and looks really good. I have a derlin rod I got from Log Cabin Shop I use as a range rod, but I would not hesitate to use the hickory when hunting. I have the original rod I got with my Renegade almost 50 years ago and to say I abused it is not an exception. Nothing like a good piece of hickory.
I looked at the ones at TOTW, but at least from the photo, it looks like it's threaded for a jag on the tip and does not have the flared bullet seating fixture that the OEM rod has.

I have several BP rifles and have made a hickory rod for each and 2 48" hickory range rods for myself plus several rods for friends. I glue and pin the brass ends on each end and have one end tapped 10-32 and one end 8-32. I keep a properly-sized jag on the muzzle end to help grasp the end of the rod to withdraw it. A good wood rod, used properly, will last darn near forever. You cant do it like Hollywood does, you have to use it the right way.

I’ve had several of the TC “resin impregnated “ rods, and I’ve liked them. They do seem to be heavier than a plain wooden rod, but I like the fact that they look like wood but have the durability of Delrin and other non-traditional material.

I’ve always been curious about how they were made.

Yes, spend good money and get a good hickory ramrod, not some hardware store dowel because it's a few bucks cheaper. Pin the ends, wipe it clean and oil it after use. They will last a good number of years.
My CVA Hawken kit came with a hickory ramrod, over 45+ its seen it share of use & abuse and still works as new. A little cleaning, oil & proper storage goes a long way. I also made a hardwood cleaning rod from hardware store doweling, wood unknown but definitely a hard wood. Same story as the ramrod that came with the rifle and still going strong.
Properly protect the wood and fittings and it will last a life time.

Wow!

The lengths some will go to to justify their choices. I don't care what YOU use, what I do not like is people vilifying hickory rods and trying to scare the newbies to death.

Slow agonizing death indeed, I have been using hickory ramrods for 40 plus years in everything from 32 to 62 calibers and have yet to break one and there are a lot of other guys on this site as well who have done similar. As said earlier still have the original ramrod in my 32.

If you do not want to learn the traditional ways of doing things properly that's on you but don't blame the equipment.
I have been devoted to traditional ways for 50 years. I am also devoted to safety. BTW, I have never broken a hickory rod either. But I don't want to risk it when in the field, especially when alone.

I have been devoted to traditional ways for 50 years. I am also devoted to safety. BTW, I have never broken a hickory rod either. But I don't want to risk it when in the field, especially when alone.
We all fudge some how some way. “I’m more authentic then thou’ just means fudge in a different way

Hickory.
On a hunt in the U.P. of Michigan long ago I accidentally stepped on my ramrod that I had carelessly laid on the ground. Broke it.
I cut a long, thin, straight sapling of unknown species, whittled off the bark and small branches, shaved it down to fit in my .50 rifle bore, and bored a hole through one end with my knife so that it would hold a cleaning rag.
It worked fine for the rest of the week. Got another hickory ramrod when I got back home.

Hickory.
On a hunt in the U.P. of Michigan long ago I accidentally stepped on my ramrod that I had carelessly laid on the ground. Broke it.
I cut a long, thin, straight sapling of unknown species, whittled off the bark and small branches, shaved it down to fit in my .50 rifle bore, and bored a hole through one end with my knife so that it would hold a cleaning rag.
It worked fine for the rest of the week. Got another hickory ramrod when I got back home.
Thets doin' it yerself the authentic way.👏

Good source of old well weathered straight Hichory is old golf club shafts. Most putters are long enough & plenty about. Driver tend to get a bit Expecive as they are Collectable..

I use hickory under the barrel. Fiberglass in the 70's scratched the barrel and crown and splintered. Not safe to use and been discontinued. Stainless work rod with brass muzzle protector for most cleaning. A thicker, longer than bore length diameter wiping stick to which a red piece of wool or flannel can be tied. Required at some events you have to be vetted for. A TC White Mountain came with an add on Delrin rod. No jag or tip on opposite end. If you use correct technique on even small diameter hickory rods there should hold up and be safe. Tiny rod on my .60 Tulle is for hunting. Wiping stick safer and easier to replace in case of breakage. I used to soak ramrods in pvc pipe with coal oil or kerosene. They do stink until dried and do burn well.

About half of my guns have hickory ramrods. Most of the ones I use a lot have aluminum rods, and there are one or two that have fiberglass rods. My favorite are the aluminum rods, preferably threaded at both ends. They might bend, but never break, they don't shed splinters and the ends never pull off.
If I had to use a hickory rod, I would, but we got much better materials these days. If old Dan'l had aluminum rods available, I'm pretty sure he'd have used one.

Back