• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Faux tiger stripe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel Hayes

Collector of cheap antiquities
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I love to tinker and decided I was going to try and replicate curly or tiger maple on and older Miroku that I own(removed the brass section cover).
Remember this is just the start, I have a bit more to go before it’s done.
It’s a combination of India ink, permanent marker and my homemade charcoal black oil.
69D38AC9-C7A5-4BD0-A916-B4F34DCAE53E.jpegA545A509-4D30-423D-83C7-25925464CB34.jpeg
I still have to add some lighter tones and a few coats of tru oil to soften the black lines.
I’ll post photos when complete.

You did a commendable job on that rifle. I am not a fan of faux striping a gunstock. I think it cheapens the overall appearance. This is not to say yours is cheap looking I'm just stating my opinion on faux striping a gunstock.

There’s just something about those Sharpie lines………….
But hey, I’m certainly no expert. I’ve read where old timers used ink and a feather to add natural looking stripes. I couldn’t do any better that’s for sure. I wouldn’t have the nerve to try it. Maybe on a scrap piece of wood first.

You did a commendable job on that rifle. I am not a fan of faux striping a gunstock. I think it cheapens the overall appearance. This is not to say yours is cheap looking I'm just stating my opinion on faux striping a gunstock.
I think that’s a way many of us feel. But faux was common a lot back in the day.
Museum of the fur trade has an antler powder measure that was finished to look like birds eye maple.
Heresy to us, we’re proud of our antlers, just another bit of waste to them.
Venison was considered a low meat. Better then dog for sure but still something you ate is you couldn’t get ‘real meat’
Lobster was served to prisoners
Besides doing a good job this is very much an historical look.

Back