• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Faulty varmint load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, for the past two weeks i've been experimenting with different light loads in order to take out the abundance of ground hogs and squirrels eating my plants. (Don't worry, I live in a rural area). The weapon of choice is a .62 fowling piece. The final product was 45 grains fffg, a wad, then a .45 ball, another wad, another .45, then an overshot wad. Don't ask why .45 is the magic number, its just a coincidence. Well today was the day that it came to be put to use...
I pull the trigger (instant ignition btw :grin: ) but still the beast lives and runs away. In fact, there is not even a trace of where those two rounds went, and no burning wadding for me to even have a hint. I'm not worried about it hitting anything, as I am surrounded by woods, but really, where could these have gone????? Any help is appreciated, as I want to try and perfect this load for some other day.

The twenty bore is a good choice, but I'm less enthusiastic about the load. I think you would do well to use #4 or #5 shot--say 1 1/8 ounce--over 60 or 70 grains of powder. It strikes me as likely that those .45 caliber balls are bouncing erratically down the bore and heading off in the direction of the last bounce as they clear the muzzle.

I live in Michigan and I think one landed in my neighbor's yard! :rotf:

I've tried to use buckshot in my smoothies and could never get better than "side of the barn" accuracy. If your set on using the .45cal balls, try tying them in a thin cloth bag, maybe 4 or 5 of them. Other wise, use #2 shot,IMHO

Maybe i'll switch over to the Pedersoli rifle for this job. It's a .45 (hence the ammo) and I think it'll do well also.

I've gotten many a squirrel with my Pedersoli .45 cal flinter. If you insist on the fowler though, I'd go with the #2 shot on the woodchuck and #5 or #6 on the squirrels.

What load do you use for the .45 rifle? I'd prefer to keep the noise to a minimum if possible. Personally, I think its time to buy an air rifle.

For a squirrel load for inside 25 yds, you can play around with 25-30 grains of 3Fg powder. That will get the velocity down below the speed of sound, but still deliver enough energy to kill the squirrels. What you want to do is find a load that shoot to the same point of impact at 25 yds, as a heavier load, like the 50-60 grain charge suggested above, hits at 50 yds.

Hangfeyer said:
Well, for the past two weeks i've been experimenting with different light loads in order to take out the abundance of ground hogs and squirrels eating my plants.

I suppose wiring up a stalk of celery to the 220V dryer plug is out of the question??? :haha:

If holes in the plants is not a problem, switch to a load of BB's, you can shoot varmits and weed the garden with each shot... :grin:

UPDATE: Well, I loaded it up with about 30fffg, a loada bbs and some wadding. Works fine at the needed distance, but I have yet to try it on any backyard intruders. Thanks

lectricty to celery outta work, but I figger a load of BB'S will be more fun.....do ground pigs and skewrls eat celery??? I think they only eat it when they are on the Richard Simmons diet..eh?

scalper said:
do ground pigs and skewrls eat celery??? I think they only eat it when they are on the Richard Simmons diet..eh?

If you grow it, something will surely try to eat it before you get a chance to... :haha:

Back