• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fastest loading Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Let's have some fun...

In your opinion, what would be the fastest loading smoothbore?

I'm going with the blunderbus, the funnel shaped muzzle will aid for a quick center of wads, ball, ect...

Plus, the short barrel length means shorter rod time...

What do you think?

Well, Musketman, as you've probably gathered from some of my other posts, I don't have a blunderbuss...YET! :cry:, but I'm betting you're :RO: about this! I would have to also go with the blunderbuss! :thumbsup:

I vote for Gardner's nail breech, no ramming at all ::
nailbreech.jpg

(A Remington 1100/1187)

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Dangit roundball, you beat me to it - I was going to say Benelli :crackup:

shotgun.jpg

I'd have to say a Bess would be a close second - if you primed it using the powder through an enlarged flash hole and just spit an undersized ball down the barrel.

Dagnabit, Liver Eatin'! I thought this here wus a blackpowder forum! As long as you fellas is a-goin' to include modern guns, go here http://www.hkpro.com/gmg.htm fur the ultimate in quick-loadin', rip-roarin', damage-inflictin' smoothbore fun!!! :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :thumbsup:

Well, I take a nap and it mutates to auto-loading Bar-ellies and Gar-nad machinie guns... :haha:

Was reading about a test done to simulate Rogers' Rangers tactics where the feller started with a clean bore and an unspecified charge and a naked ball of .63" diameter in a .75" bored Bess replica. He got off 6 shots in a minute using the under-sized balls and no ramrod, just letting them rattle on down. He got 5 hits on a man-sized target at 75 yards and appears to have done it twice. Pretty good doings if you ask me. :eek:

He got off 6 shots in a minute using the under-sized balls and no ramrod, just letting them rattle on down. He got 5 hits on a man-sized target at 75 yards and appears to have done it twice. Pretty good doings if you ask me. :eek:

Impressive rate of fire, no doubt...

No wonder smoothies are so long lived...

Hey, I was impressed! If this was typical results it'd be be outstanding combat doings for woods ranges. Considering the typical range at which shoot-outs took place between Rogers' guys and the French, those results would be outstanding. Have no idea if Goreham and other 'Ranger' outfits fought at those typical shorter ranges but if so, looks like we're on to something here. Figure if he did this little test with .63's in a .75" replica Bess, than the originals in .775" would do the same with .65" balls which were the issues for 'Officer', 'Sergeant' & 'Light Dragoon' Fusils...think we've got something here! God Save The Queen...probably from the King.......oops! :blah:

You could use a .678 roundball (.69 caliber) in the .75 bess...

I use a .735 with no patch once I fire a few patched .715's, the fouling works as a crude patch, sort of, kinda... :rolleyes:

Older guns with enlarged (worn out or drilled) flash holes could do this, you have to close the frizzen first or you'll dribble powder out...

Also, there is a more noticeable side flash with a larger hole, if more pressure is venting out through the side, less is pushing the ball down the bore...

But yes, it was done, I have not done this though...

For speeed I'd go with a mortar and red hot steel balls right on top of the powder. Just drop them in and duck.

A good musket man with paper rolled can fire 4 a minute with ease . But I don,t worry about speed and load from the bag for hunting and target with my 12-bore fowler. And its plenty fast enough with thumb start and ease of ram. I prime from the horn. Speed is something of modern shooting and mind set. Slow down and smell the roses! Load right and smooth and get it the same from shot to shot. These are not belt fed autos. Even though in there day they would be state of the art on the battle line or woods. Slow down and leave the modern world and enjoy blackpowder one shot at a time.

Agree...reminds me of the old saying:

1 shot-1 deer
2 shots-maybe 1 deer
3 shots-no deer

Back