• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fancy Camp Beds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some fancy, camp beds I've seen online. I might try to make the simplest, I'd LOVE to build the second one, but unsure...and .... don't have the skills for the bed-within-the-bench.

LD
Camp Bed wood and canvas pin.jpg
Camp Bed wood and pin.jpg
Camp bed wood in a box.jpg

LD

I'm partial to the first example... Have any more images from varying angles by chance? I have zero issues sleeping on the ground, however on a longer stent when the whole camp is pitched something such as this would be a welcome addition IMO.

I'm partial to the first example... Have any more images from varying angles by chance? I have zero issues sleeping on the ground, however on a longer stent when the whole camp is pitched something such as this would be a welcome addition IMO.
I WISH...

(iirc) That was made by a guy who does Medieval SCA stuff. Looks like a screw hole near the top of each leg going into the cross-flat of the bed (?). It's really a "cot", and I noticed the additional mid supports, unstained, so I think those were added after.

LD

I made this some years back. The George Washington "Valley Forge" cot was my inspiration. Spent many a comfortable night on it. It's now 75"x 29". I recently eliminated the foot board and shortened it a couple inches to better fit my trailer.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 232
  • P4020001.jpg
    P4020001.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 242
I WISH...

(iirc) That was made by a guy who does Medieval SCA stuff. Looks like a screw hole near the top of each leg going into the cross-flat of the bed (?). It's really a "cot", and I noticed the additional mid supports, unstained, so I think those were added after.

LD
Contact Mark at Kootenai River Traders ([email protected]). He made a cot for another friend that was excellent. Looks similar to the first example, but far more refined in construction. I regret not taking pictures for my library.

Last edited:
I'd very much enjoy seeing more examples. Trying to do more searching through my references... Rope beds seem to be more common, however I'm imagining the construction and mobility of such a bed would not make it very user friendly.

Actually I've seen a rope bed used by some civilians. What they did at the event was assemble it like the first example, only the roping went back and forth through the lengthwise portion (instead of canvas on the outside of the two long pieces), and omitted going end to end, so did not form a "net" pattern. THEN when assembled, there were several points where twisting of the rope was done to take up the remaining slack. A large mattress was also used. I'm going for a more manageable, and collapsible, bed, similar to a modern cot.

Actually I'm looking at maybe a chair that converts into the cot......IF I get it working right I'll post photos.....

LD

Mrs Coot & I used a rope bed for years but have given it up as too cumbersome & time consuming to set up & pack. Ours had holes for the rope - a faster arrangement for set up & take down would be to use short pegs to lace the rope over rather than holes to have to lace the rope thru. I have seen original beds made both ways (more with holes as beds were not normally a pack item).

Actually I've seen a rope bed used by some civilians. What they did at the event was assemble it like the first example, only the roping went back and forth through the lengthwise portion (instead of canvas on the outside of the two long pieces), and omitted going end to end, so did not form a "net" pattern. THEN when assembled, there were several points where twisting of the rope was done to take up the remaining slack. A large mattress was also used. I'm going for a more manageable, and collapsible, bed, similar to a modern cot.

Actually I'm looking at maybe a chair that converts into the cot......IF I get it working right I'll post photos.....

LD

The setup of such a bed is exactly why I have stayed clear... Also the reason why I like leaving the big camp behind! Anymore when I setup a simple lean-to I'm ready to just relax by the fire, certainly the last thing I want by the time I've made a fire and collected wood is to setup a darn bed! lol. I'm with you on the more manageable option as I would like one myself.

The setup of such a bed is exactly why I have stayed clear... Also the reason why I like leaving the big camp behind! Anymore when I setup a simple lean-to I'm ready to just relax by the fire, certainly the last thing I want by the time I've made a fire and collected wood is to setup a darn bed! lol. I'm with you on the more manageable option as I would like one myself.
Well as the numerous times that I've been smashed from behind while operating a motor vehicle, sleeping on the ground is pretty often not a good idea for me. So the time has come for me to move up to a bed of some sort. The straw mattress on the ground is just not cutting it anymore. :oops:

LD

When one has a Lady along, the lean-to, sleep-on-the-ground option is out. I want to keep her happy because she brings home-made pies & cakes and makes a great camp-mate (in addition to many other reasons and I'm NOT complaining either). When it's just me and the guys, I have no issue throwing my blankets down under a tree and usually forego a shelter altogether (unless raining or actively snowing). So one of my future projects is a bed...

Last edited:
Dave, perhaps a starting point would be a modern patio chair recliner for a pattern with a few modifications, I feel a suitable wooden frame made of oak or poplar 2x2 could be built using the chase as a design point. The oak would be heavy the poplar would be a bit lighter. You could then use a heavy weight canvas either tacked or laced to the frame using grommets either metal or hand sewn. A few years back I fabricated a double bed for the Mrs. and I when we take the wall tent very nice but time consuming when setting camp. It is now in the back bed room for when our granddaughter visits. Usually we just take 2 military style cots and use mattresses bought from panther primitives, once the blankets are placed on the beds you cannot see the cots and there is ample storage space under them. These work very well in either the 10x10 wall or the 9 ft. wedge and will leave ample space for comfortable living. Hope this will get you to thinking on design.

Dave, perhaps a starting point would be a modern patio chair recliner for a pattern with a few modifications, I feel a suitable wooden frame made of oak or poplar 2x2 could be built using the chase as a design point.

WOW so THIS is a pretty good idea. I found one from World Market for $75 but it does not "fold" or disassemble.
The one from Target however, folds, AND has wheels.
Now neither are especially "authentic" with the Target version having stainless steel hardware. But considering I'm probably looking at close to $75 in hardwood if I was to build it myself...

World Market Recliner.jpg
Target Wood Recliner.jpg
Target Wood Recliner closed.jpg

I wonder if the Target brand one can have the legs modified to fold, and the wheels with axel removed for better storage ???

LD

In the "Book of Buckskinning Volume 2" there are plans for a camp cot similar to your first example. That would be easy enough to make sturdy enough to support you. You would be surprised at what a dimensional pine 2x2 will support.

I have made a rope bed with all the ropes woven into a net. Very comfortable.

I do like the Target bed. While it might not really be correct for Fort Frederick and certainly not for The April Trade Faire at Fort de Chartres, it would be accepted at most Rendezvous.

I know people who use a wood framed futon for a camp bed at Rendezvous.

I agree with using dimensional pine, very sturdy and light when constructed properly, also CHEAP! I'm still partial to the first example, will likely mock up a design myself!

Back