• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fancy Belgian 14g SxS - Can anyone fill me in?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I just bought a Belgian shotgun. It is marked "Canon de Ruben" meaning barrel of ribbons which is a precursor to Damascus barrels (or so I am told).
The stock has fishscale rather than checkering and a bit of carving including the head of a stag some foliage and a big rondel.
The ramrod is tapered with a fancy little patch worm and is a very dark wood
I am told it dates to 1840' - 1850's.
Seems to be in great condition and well made (from my novice perspective).
Can anyone PLEASE tell me more?
14g.jpg

'Canon de ruben' is not a precursor to Damascus barrel making, but is simply the French for 'twist stub' barrel-making. Strictly-speaking, Damascus barrels appear to be figured very decoratively deliberately, but twist barrels are simply displaying the method of manufacture. The back-action percussion locks put it right where you suggested, but unless you can show us any of the many proof marks that will be stamped all over the barrels - usually underneath there is very little else that can be said. The many gun-makers in Liége turned out literally hundreds of thousands of these working guns. Your gun is a nice example of such a piece, and guns of a similar pattern, including the fancy fish-scale carving, can be seen in a 1903 Sears catalogue for around $12- 15.

Please do not shoot it until it has been checked over by somebody who knows what they are looking at. And let your mother-in-law take the first shot.

Just kidding.

Oh, and welcome to the best muzzleloading forum there is.

I cannot seem to load any more pictures.
It definitely has the leige oval for ML BP.
There also appears to be a crown over a cross but it is unclear.
On the barrel sides (above the stockline). There appears to be a crucifix or sword.
That is about all

'kay. Just the usual Liége proof marks - the ELG stands for 'Épreuve Liege' - Liége Proof House. The little sword is actually the 'Perron' a decorative column like Nelson's Column in London's Trafalgar Square - it is a famous Liége landmark. The crown over X is the inspector's stamp.

1. It would have probably been plum-browned.

2. European tastes vary considerably from our own, especially in Germany, Austria, France et al. It would be over the top here in UK at any time.

Back