• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

family rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KanawhaRanger said:
That may be the same John Armstrong of Emmitsburg, Md. That's not far from Gettysburg. In fact it is believed that he was born in Adams Co. Still wouldn't explain the Philly address and this rifle is of a different type. He apprenticed under George Schroyer and his rifles show that influence. I don't have enough reference sources with me to see if there was another Armstrong in that city. Kauffman's book doesn't show any other Armstrong.
:idunno:

This is likely an Armstrong hardware dealer/importer.
John Armstrong the Maryland gunmaker did not make this lock. Its a typical Birmingham import lock brought into the US by the thousands and marked with the importer/sellers name either when made or after arrival here. A lot of them were surely shipped direct to Philly from England.
Many/most American guns had import locks. England had the ability to make large numbers of locks at low cost.
Armstrong made locks but they looked nothing like this and he engraved his name of them being a skilled engraver and they were only used on his rifles.

Dan

See my earlier post:

Another reason I don't believe that John Armstrong made the lock on this rifle is that the name is stamped. Armstrong made his own locks from what I've read, but he signed his rifles on the barrel. Also, a stamped lock is a good sign that it was mass produced. I tend to believe that this was possibly made by Ketland or another English maker and sold to a hardware company or other gun part distributor and stamped by them. So far I haven't been able to locate any such company starting with ARMxxx in Philadelphia yet. If we knew who built the rifle, it would be faintly possible to find out where he got his locks. That would be a long shot though. If the owner could pull the lock there may be another stamp inside if it's an English lock. I believe I'd already have that gun completely apart if it was me.

Latest posts

Back