• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Family rifle 1774? need identification help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pianotech70

32 Cal
Reaction score
Ashmore lock, converted from flint to percussion. been in my family since 1823. There had been an inscription in lead pencil inside the lock that said 1774. 60 inches tall, octagon barrel. any information would be much appreciated. It is in very good condition and has been fired as recently as 1987, but letting it rest now. I believe it is still safe, but why chance it?

Attachments

• 20220806_141334.jpg
    20220806_141334.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220806_141610_01.jpg
    20220806_141610_01.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141524.jpg
    20220806_141524.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141416.jpg
    20220806_141416.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141425.jpg
    20220806_141425.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141339.jpg
    20220806_141339.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141329.jpg
    20220806_141329.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141245.jpg
    20220806_141245.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141302.jpg
    20220806_141302.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220806_141235.jpg
    20220806_141235.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
The single trigger, guard with scrolled rear spur, pointed ball finial on patchbox, and what appears to be a cherry wood stock (?) all suggest a New England rifle. The lock was originally flint as the open screw holes in its face verify. But the single lock bolt suggests the gun was a late flint, which would place its manufacture in the early-to-mid 1820s or later. If the "1823" date is verified in family history, that is about the earliest date for this rifle and may represent when it was acquired. The 1774 date would not refer to the rifle, but perhaps a significant date in the family's history or when the original owner was born.

Is there a history that tells where the family first acquired this rifle, to help us better locate its origin?

Shelby Gallien

Last edited:
The single trigger, guard with scrolled rear spur, pointed ball finial on patchbox, and what appears to be a cherry wood stock (?) all suggest a New England rifle. The lock was originally flint as the open screw holes in its face verify. But the single lock bolt suggests the gun was a late flint, which would place its manufacture in the mid-1820s or later. If the "1823" date is verified in family history, that is about the earliest date for this rifle and may represent when it was acquired. The 1774 date would not refer to the rifle, but perhaps a significant date in the family's history or when the original owner was born.

Is there a history that tells where the family first acquired this rifle, to help us better locate its origin?

Shelby Gallien
We were told that it was probably earlier, but what you have said is most likely true. We have no record of when it was purchased, but family stories say it accompanied the family across the Pennsylvania when they moved west. That could have been a year or so after immigrating in 1823. It is pretty certain that the gun was with them from the beginning, and early stories have said that it was used when they acquired it, but there is no way to know that for sure. After much diligent searching, I can find no markings on the barrel of any kind. It was originally browned, and still holds much of the original finish as far as we can tell. It has been examined by experts (who, when, unknown, even qualifications are unknown.. done well before my birth) and declared original and the R Ashmore lock was certified original then... but again, all that can be questioned. New England origin... interesting. My wife is from Maine, her ancestors came over on Mayflower, part of the Gilbert Winslow family. Also, no idea when or by whom it was converted to percussion. Thanks for the info!!

The single trigger, guard with scrolled rear spur, pointed ball finial on patchbox, and what appears to be a cherry wood stock (?) all suggest a New England rifle. The lock was originally flint as the open screw holes in its face verify. But the single lock bolt suggests the gun was a late flint, which would place its manufacture in the early-to-mid 1820s or later. If the "1823" date is verified in family history, that is about the earliest date for this rifle and may represent when it was acquired. The 1774 date would not refer to the rifle, but perhaps a significant date in the family's history or when the original owner was born.

Shelby Gallien
I think that either theock was on another gun or more likely the stock is not k

Shelb

I believe the lock currently on the gun was on another gun originally the earlier holes don't seem to line up with the lock screw and I can't see any other holes in the stock. The other possibility is the stock was replaced

Ashmore lock, converted from flint to percussion. been in my family since 1823. There had been an inscription in lead pencil inside the lock that said 1774. 60 inches tall, octagon barrel. any information would be much appreciated. It is in very good condition and has been fired as recently as 1987, but letting it rest now. I believe it is still safe, but why chance it?

It does not have the overall appearance of a pre- 1810 - 1815 rifle to me.
As for some of the individual parts, who knows.

Latest posts

Back