• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Family ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any markings gas on the gun? Stamps, names, symbols. I can see some engraving on the lock and some on the breech and tang. Are there any markings under the barrel or on the left lock?
Any information you can find will help us identify your shotgun.

Mike Muzzle said:
that has been in my family for 5+ generations.
Define 5+ generations,,,
That can be as little as 50yrs or as much as 500.
If you can say 5+ generations then you know close too, origination dates.
Damascus barrel doesn't give anyone a hint

The story from my aunt, is it was "brought over or bought" with/by my Great-Great Grandfather. I'm 47, my dad is 70. I'm not sure when my G-pa was born (maybe 1910-ish), without digging up some paperwork. So definitely 1870's, if not older, assuming my aunt is right (she's been known to... embellish a little).

necchi said:
Mike Muzzle said:
that has been in my family for 5+ generations.
Define 5+ generations,,,
That can be as little as 50yrs or as much as 500.
If you can say 5+ generations then you know close too, origination dates.
Damascus barrel doesn't give anyone a hint

How can 5+ generations be as little as 50 years necchi? :idunno: :youcrazy:

Skychief said:
How can 5+ generations be as little as 50 years necchi? :idunno: :youcrazy:
The same way they define the greatest generation, the boomers, generation X and generation Y that are giving birth to "Z"?
5 Generations all alive at one time.
That's how some people count.
Wanna confuse it? Come on up here and I'll introduce you to my 1st cousins twice removed. One that's older then my son and another one younger,, :doh:

5 generations sounds just about right for a shotgun like that. Given 30 years per generation, that would make it about 150 years old, so about 1868, give or take 20 years and you pretty much have defined the peak period of the double barreled percussion shotgun.

I found a few more markings under the barrels, that might hopefully give more clues to the date/make of this ML. Would the "27" be the year? 1827?

43967319812_5ce1b5ab8a_m.jpg
[/url]20180811_195631 by Mike Harney, on Flickr[/img]

43967328022_30c5ab872d_m.jpg
[/url]20180811_195719 by Mike Harney, on Flickr[/img]

Interesting attachment of the hammer.

If you would, pull a lock off and take a picture of the inside of the lock.

Thanks

Fleener

Are you talking about the plate the hammer is mounted to? If so, I'll look at the screws and see if they can be removed. 100+ years have made some of the screws non-working.

dont remove anything that does not want to come off. I was just curious.

thanks

Fleener

Sorry, it's not happening. I finally got a chance to look at it last night. There aren't any screws holding the lock plates on, it looks like they are held on by hammered pins or rivets. Interesting. Here is a pic show the pins, which match up on the other side.
43477879324_cc9b545b49_m.jpg
[/url]20180731_180535[1] by Mike Harney, on Flickr[/img] [/img]

that is most likely the other end of a screw that holds the lock internals together.

Fleener

The circled screw end is about in the place where the sear spring screw would be.
The one below it could be the screw for the sear.

You might try looking for a screw head that is hidden under the hammer on the left side of the gun.

Do not try to remove the hammer to see it. Just bring the left hand lock to the full cock position. If it is there, you'll see it.

Back