• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fair asking price? TC Hawken kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalker

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a nice TC Hawken 50cal. I’m not sure what a fair price would be to ask for it. It was a kit and was put together very nicely. Somebody bent the hammer for use with a scope and drilled and tapped the barrel for scope mounts. There is some minor pitting a few inches from the muzzle, otherwise it’s in great shape. It is a good shooter with both PRB and conicals. Has one large ding near the barrel wedge, and several scratches and small dents. It’s been used, but well cared for. Has the TC sling mounts. I’m not sure if I will put it up for sale or not. I have 3 50cals and a 45 and I am considering selling the 45 and a couple 50’s to purchase a 54cal or maybe a 58 if I can find it. Anyhow, I’d like to hear what you guys think is a fair price, which will help with my decision to keep it or not.

Attachments

• C8DF0AD4-3D02-4791-A6C9-8DA84658D422.jpeg
    C8DF0AD4-3D02-4791-A6C9-8DA84658D422.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • EE2CF0FD-3B8C-4FC4-B0C0-1020D7B0FE3D.jpeg
    EE2CF0FD-3B8C-4FC4-B0C0-1020D7B0FE3D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 39DF8AF1-94CE-49C4-9D79-956B0C81C63F.jpeg
    39DF8AF1-94CE-49C4-9D79-956B0C81C63F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
More

Attachments

• B94AD76C-E8C1-4B07-A1B2-DE7935570F45.jpeg
    B94AD76C-E8C1-4B07-A1B2-DE7935570F45.jpeg
  • 7A650B7A-20D0-4DD7-8A0C-5428F93063F1.jpeg
    7A650B7A-20D0-4DD7-8A0C-5428F93063F1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5254F24B-E063-4EA6-8309-6D04266DB676.jpeg
    5254F24B-E063-4EA6-8309-6D04266DB676.jpeg
  • F1613E16-2145-4F1B-BC2F-73A3037A187E.jpeg
    F1613E16-2145-4F1B-BC2F-73A3037A187E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 8B448BDE-C1C9-4CE2-9346-765EC16E28AF.jpeg
    8B448BDE-C1C9-4CE2-9346-765EC16E28AF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm sure you'll get varied responses but, since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

With the mangled hammer, holey barrel, suspect bore, and over-sanding of the stock around the lock flats I wouldn't give over 200 bucks for it.

A year ago it seemed like anything would sell for a fortune in no time, but I think the market has started to turn. That said, I would guess it would still sell pretty fast for any price under $300. Good luck with it!

I think with that said, it will just stay in the stable and get used for hunting. Shoots too good to part it out and I don’t need the money that bad. Just have too many similar rifles and could benefit from a larger caliber rifle. I’m in no hurry. My boy will like it for deer season.

I aslo have several guns that will not bring what I think they are "worth" in terms of being a good shooter. Not much to do with them but take the loss if you want to sell. I can not suggest a price for the gun because it is a gun I just would not purchase for the reasons listed above.

I don't think the prices have hit peak yet judging from how fast junk I wouldn't buy sells hours later. Just a kit gun is running $500 and frequently out of stock. I would price it at $490 check or money order (or even better Walmart to Walmart CASH). Buyer pays freight.

It won't be in your possession for long I expect.

Another trick is to just list it for $1200 and wait a day or two to get the big bucks (pun there).

You can always keep lowering the price $50 at a time and that bumps your ad to the top of the list.

You have to understand that the US dollar has the appearance of failing quickly and there are people out there with hoards of cash looking to spend it on anything that may retain value.

It's a fine looking rifle that will give years of fun making smoke and bring joy at the report. That's value too.

IMO, it'd sell fairly quickly for a better price than opined on above, if someone new to muzzleloading just wants a "Hawken", and isn't up for being politically correct.

Buy the Plug screws that are used on rifles that are drilled and tapped to add a scope at a later date if wanted.( Midway should have them) If the hammer works as is, leave it alone. I agree with Davey Boy $490 and you can always haggle a bit . But I wouldn't give it away.. Not everyone is P/C H/C conceince they just want to make smoke and hunt. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT........ BE Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally

Buy the Plug screws that are used on rifles that are drilled and tapped to add a scope at a later date if wanted.( Midway should have them) If the hammer works as is, leave it alone. I agree with Davey Boy $490 and you can always haggle a bit . But I wouldn't give it away.. Not everyone is P/C H/C conceince they just want to make smoke and hunt. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT........ BE Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally
Plug screws is a great idea, I was thinking $395 plus shipping if you want to move it, $450 if you have some time.

Has nothing to do with being "HC/PC" it has to do with much damage aka 'modifications' done to it that detract from the value of it no matter your persuasion. Without the holes, hammer mangling, & over-sanded lock panels yes it would be a 3 or 4 hundred dollar gun. But as-is it's a 200 dollar gun.

Get a cheap chisel set from harbor freight, sharpen a couple and scrape the wood to inset the plates for the wedge. A simple fix that covers the over sanding. Or if those plates are really thick, file the backside to make them thinner. After that I have no suggestions on price.

If the scope mount holes don't go too deep, send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt and have it turned into a .54, a new hammer is probably available from the Gun Works.
I thought about that. I’d love a 54. The hammer will bend back with some heat. It was the older style so I’d rather not replace it with a new one, if I can avoid it.

The scope mount holes are already plugged so no damage there. It was done correctly.

Back