• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failure....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
....or was it?
After work I headed out in the cool westerly driven showers.
I had my Italian faux trade gun. That is a reliable lock in wet conditions.
I had just over three hours of light left to stalk a rabbit or two but being the eternal fiddling fool I am I wanted to try sixteen .25 air gun pellets weighing 30gn each.
20210312_160042.jpg

No prizes for guessing the outcome!
The loading combo didnt get the rabbit!
So the idea was dumped and finally out of my stupid head!
It was a good stalk though and I was keen for another. The first stalk had taken 3/4 of an hour. If there is one good thing about gout it sure slows a man down!
Soon a little further along this slang of trees on an embankment I jumped a bunny from its seat and it ran to its hole but stopped outside. I hate shooting them on their hole incase I lose them down there and Jess was at home today! I decided to try and get down to twenty yards before shooting.
Fortunately a squall came in which helped my advance all the time nurturing that lock under my arm.
Just as I was getting to twenty yards I had to carefully move to my right and sideways movement to game is a fatal give away and with that the rabbit disappeared down its hole! Close but no cigar! Whilst I pondered a magpie moved into an elder bush right next to me but never saw me. Normally they are sharp eyed and miss nothing but the squall was still blowing high speed rain in, that must of obscured me to it. I managed to get the shot off and the deed was done. I make no apologies for shooting a magpie. They are a nasty predatory bird out of control!
20210312_172535.jpg

I managed to get the wet gun serviceable again ( look at the pan closely, its dripping!). But alas as the light dwindled away and my aging eyes I never got close enough for a shot again although I did see a few more.
Was it a failure. Not really. I loved every minute. I saw bullfinches, pheasants, squirrels and rabbits. Much better than TV!
On the way home I met a friend in the near dark walking his dogs. A terrier, a three legged whippet and a huge deer hound that loves a good scratch from me every time we meet so that was pleasant too.
Still want a rabbit. Maybe Sunday, after worship.
My foot is hurting now, where is them meds......

I see no failure here my friend.

Especially if you,,, succeeded,,,, in finally getting the idea of airgun pellets as shot out of your head.

Although,,,,,,, maybe in some type of sabot? Like a fletchet round?

Lol,,,, just kidding

I see no failure here my friend.

Especially if you,,, succeeded,,,, in finally getting the idea of airgun pellets as shot out of your head.

Although,,,,,,, maybe in some type of sabot? Like a fletchet round?

Lol,,,, just kidding
Lol stop it.....
It was just a bit of fun but after all the effort getting so close to bunny and missing it due to wayward .25 pellets I really had hamstrung myself. The only really useful thing they are good for is crowd dispersal and err well .25 airguns🤦‍♂️.

I'll be back as Arnie would say.

BS:
What was your powder charge? I always enjoy your stories!
Nit Wit
Not sure to be honest. I think my adjustable measure was on 80gns. I was using the very course powder I have. I'm use to this gun going off very quickly however with this powder there was a noticeable delay. It'll soon be gone and I can be on 3f or finer again😊.
On that note I found an old rifle target I shot. It said on it 70gn 4f! Nice group too. Also said offhand 😊

....or was it?
After work I headed out in the cool westerly driven showers.
I had my Italian faux trade gun. That is a reliable lock in wet conditions.
I had just over three hours of light left to stalk a rabbit or two but being the eternal fiddling fool I am I wanted to try sixteen .25 air gun pellets weighing 30gn each.
View attachment 68621
No prizes for guessing the outcome!
The loading combo didnt get the rabbit!
So the idea was dumped and finally out of my stupid head!
It was a good stalk though and I was keen for another. The first stalk had taken 3/4 of an hour. If there is one good thing about gout it sure slows a man down!
Soon a little further along this slang of trees on an embankment I jumped a bunny from its seat and it ran to its hole but stopped outside. I hate shooting them on their hole incase I lose them down there and Jess was at home today! I decided to try and get down to twenty yards before shooting.
Fortunately a squall came in which helped my advance all the time nurturing that lock under my arm.
Just as I was getting to twenty yards I had to carefully move to my right and sideways movement to game is a fatal give away and with that the rabbit disappeared down its hole! Close but no cigar! Whilst I pondered a magpie moved into an elder bush right next to me but never saw me. Normally they are sharp eyed and miss nothing but the squall was still blowing high speed rain in, that must of obscured me to it. I managed to get the shot off and the deed was done. I make no apologies for shooting a magpie. They are a nasty predatory bird out of control!
View attachment 68626
I managed to get the wet gun serviceable again ( look at the pan closely, its dripping!). But alas as the light dwindled away and my aging eyes I never got close enough for a shot again although I did see a few more.
Was it a failure. Not really. I loved every minute. I saw bullfinches, pheasants, squirrels and rabbits. Much better than TV!
On the way home I met a friend in the near dark walking his dogs. A terrier, a three legged whippet and a huge deer hound that loves a good scratch from me every time we meet so that was pleasant too.
Still want a rabbit. Maybe Sunday, after worship.
My foot is hurting now, where is them meds......
I share your gout pain....... Onsets are not too bad now but the first one (about 5 years ago) was intense, thought I had broken my ankle somehow, could barely walk even with crutches.

Back