• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failing eyes- loosing the front sight cure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a diopter stick-on by Lyman (not at home, so can't give the trade name. It's a small black plastic disk which adheres to the inside of my lens, lined up to focus on the sight. It cleared my sight picture considerably, though, beyond 40 yds, the target is still a blur. (I'm very near-sighted.) Stiil, centering on the blur, I can get satisfactory group, often all in the black.
Hoping cataract surgery will go a long way to solving my problem. I don't comptete any longer, but still enjoy shooting.

This year I've started using 0.5 clear safety glasses to sharpen up my focus. I've also considered a wider front sight and a 6 o clock hold on my Pedersoli Tryon, the factory sight is pretty narrow.

You can experiment with pinholes on your glasses by using electrical tape with a tiny hole melted in it with a hot pin. Make several in a horizontal line so you can pick the best one for your position that day. The pinhole will bring everything into focus at once.

Nobody can focus on multiple things at once. IF you believe you can see both sights and the target clearly you are fooling your self. What is happening is that you are quickly changing focus between the three. Old eyes can not do that.

The text book say to focus on the front sight. Let the target be fuzzy . Never attempt to focus on the rear sight. Aim at the center of the fuzzy bull's eye. That will help compesate for changing light conditions. The old way was a 6 o'clock hold. COM is better.

I am almost 60 yo. I shoot master level scores in a couple of disciplines. I have been coached by great shooters. I have tried about everything. Pistols or rifles with open sights I shoot smaller groups with the target in focus and the sights out of focus. I use my regular distance prescription. Focusing on the front sight may not be possible in field shooting, you have to see the target in the first place.

Peep sights half my group size. They are much better than open sights. That is why they are illegal for NMLRA competition. IF you can use a peep do so.

Final thought, if you have progressive lense glasses do not try to shoot with them. IT does not work. Get bifocals.

Back