• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

fine fellows

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the derivation is from a loose bundle of something. The Latin term "Facine" describes a bundle of sticks, held as a badge of office in ancient Rome to show they had authority over the citizens. This is where the term "Facist" comes from.

The term was also used to describe bundles of sticks used to form defensive structures as they would capture arrows and other projectiles, a sort of middle age sandbag. The term was also used in WW1 & 2 to describe bundles of sticks carried by tanks to fill in ditches.

Traditionally in UK,fine fellows were bundles of twigs and brushwood used to fire a bread oven. They burned very quickly giving lots of heat and little ash. They were roughly made and of little value. This is where I suspect the connection with meat fine fellows comes from, as they were also a bundle of cheap ingredients, roughly made..?

I suppose the association of bundles of sticks to hand rolled cigarettes could be made, although much of London slang is ryming, and I don't see one there..!

How the term became associated with homosexuality is more of a mystery...!

Still, I used to smoke fags and I do like a good ****** and peas! What this is to do with musketry is less obvious, but perhaps someone could see if a Facine/****** would stop a musket ball?

..and yes, Haggis is Scottish, but is made from Sheeps pluck rather than Pigs..

From the old cartoon strip, "The King Is A Fink":

Listen to me and you will see,
That the bravest man in history,
Was neither soldier nor sailor nor officer of law,
But the first to eat an oyster ... raw!

'Fags' for cigarettes comes from the stubs left of brushwood used for kindling. Short stems which cigarettes resemble. Thus the 'fag end' of something. Cigarettes came to Britain from soldiers in the Peninsula campaign noticing that the peasants would wrap their tobacco in bits of paper which was far more convenient than the normal cigars and cheaper to boot.

Felix I envy you. I trust that there was a mug of strong tea to follow. Some sort of suet pudding and custard would fill in the odd spaces left.

In the cities, more specialty butchers who slaughter and break down carcasses are opening. In real country, if you are not butchering your own, there is someone in your area doing it. If you're in the suburbs....well you're in a cultural vacuum and must make do.

I like the kidney stew my mother in law made, after she passed I ask my wife to make it and she stated rather flatly no, that when her mom made it she would leave the house, actually there was no recipe and the wife never bothered to try and get her mom to write it down as too what she done. But as was stated earlier you had to boil the P out of them.

VON BISMARCK QUOTE.jpg

LD

Latest posts

Back