• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Eye protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just some screen shots of me shooting an 1863 Remington. Took a video just to get the fireball, but an errant spark came back and hit my glasses in ten top left corner of the right lens. Exploded on contact, left a small divot in the lens and a lot of white residue over the lens.. don`t want to imagine that having happened without eye protection.
ok- site not letting me post pics, will try later.

I cringe at the thought of people shooting before there was eye pro. There's a lot of stuff that flies to the sides and rear of BP firearms.

I've had enough blowback from all kinds of guns over the years that I don't shoot without glasses. Not on a shooting area without them either. Not a problem as I wear perscription glasses anyway while hunting.

Got one photo to load, you can see the spark flying back to my face. When i get the other of the spark exploding loaded up, i`ll post that too.
WigVEVj.png

My glasses have a few burn spots on them.
I have had hot particles hit the eyes.
To be honest the eye being wet goes a long way to protect it from a tiny heat source all be it irritating.
It's any debris like a cap particle that is more dangerous in my opinion.

I guess if there was an argument for using a fine powder in the pan it would be to limit a large chunk (relatively) of burning ember getting in the eye!

If you are getting significant blowback from the nipple, it may be time to replace it. Also consider using a flash cup around the nipple. That helps direct flash away from your face.

i did notice the hammer being knocked back to half cock several times, maybe 50% of the time that day. it was new about 100 shots ago, not sure if i have another nipple that will fit.

I wear safety glasses while at the range but not when hunting. Never have, never will.
Your choice, but why not? If you choose to protect your eyes on the range, why not hunting? Help me understand the logic. Not telling you what to do, just curious. Granted there is less shooting when hunting, so less risk, but it only takes one time. I know of two fellow workers who lost eyes because of no safety glasses, and another who severely burned his and then got fired.
Larry

I use prescription shooting glasses and active electronic hearing protectors when hunting.
I don't worry about getting slapped in the eye while brush busting and I can hear The Warden coming from a quarter mile away.

wm (presently historically correct)

Latest posts

Back