• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Eye protection for someone with glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm looking for some eye pro reccomendations for someone who wears glasses. Or does the fact that I wear glasses count as eye protection?

If you have polycarbonate lenses, you will be fine. Safety glasses are polycarbonate
I have no clue what my lenses are made of. I found some "over-spec" types on MidwayUSA. I'll just run with those
1656419052560.png

The side protection of the "overspecs" is an added aid.I use my industrial safety glasses with the side shields and have found the side shields help with flash from flintlocks.

Good advice above. Bigger the lenses, the more protection. Years ago, needed eye protection for academy and sheriff's personnel. Factory rep for WileyX told me you could shoot theirs with skeet loads. Issued a pair to all at range day, set a pair on a box out by the trap house and shot them with a load of #9's. Sold me right there.

Whether it's powder from the pan or chunks of percussion caps, there's always something tryin' to get in my eye.

I'm looking for some eye pro reccomendations for someone who wears glasses. Or does the fact that I wear glasses count as eye protection?
There's also clear over-the-glasses safety goggles, clear plastic, you've seen seniors with the big blocky dark 'glasses' over their regular street glasses? You could look into that. I'm usually good with my regular glasses, as all modern ones have a safety-impact rating, and my eye is close to the lens when shooting. Eyes are 1st consideration for safety!

Or does the fact that I wear glasses count as eye protection?
That.
I've been wearing glasses for over 50yrs.
The current rules or regs for eye and ear protection at most shooting venues is a good thing.
Having prescription glasses on your face does count as the required eye protection.
The only time I use further protection is when I want to protect my lenses. Like when I'm grinding metals, whether it's from a Dremil stone, a die grinder or bench grinder,, I don't want "sparks" or fine metal shavings/dust hitting my lenses.

Side note;
Those of us that are long time wearers of prescription glasses,, We've become conditioned to the added protection.
I walk through the woods differently then non-glasses folks,, a leaf or small branch doesn't cause me to flinch or duck,
Wind driven dust, doesn't hit my eyes the same causing a squint,
Sun glare can be deflected with a tilt of my head,, and theres more
My body/brain has become accustomed to the protection.
My vision impairment could be mostly corrected with modern "Lasic" procedures, but if after all these years I changed to no-glasses, the flip side would be I'd probably gouge out an eye in the first week!
Besides, Mine are tri-focals,, I like the built in magnifiers, 👍

My shooting glasses are a pair of prescription glasses. The lenses are coated polycarbonate. The frames are large aviator style. They are bifocals, progressives are no good for shooting. I set the prescription of the top to focus at about 5'. You will need a decent optician to help you figure this out with diopter lenses. That makes is possible to focus on the front sight and have a reasonable view of the target. My eyes still change focus a little for distance and close.

Of course when shooting you must only focus on the front sight. IT is necessary to read the number placard and find your target in the first place. The intermediate focal length does that for me.

For the future pair I will investigate polarized lenses with the transition feature for bright sunlight. Early cataracts make shooting in the direction of the sun impossible, for me, with iron sights.

My current pair have a gouge in the middle of the right lens from a flint chip.

Are you looking for something modern looking or something classic or vintage looking, or something pc/hc?

Foremost most of my daily wear outside, and for time training, teaching, and competing, on a modern pistol range, I swear by my Rudy Project glasses with interchangeable lenses. Mostly I wear then with polarized brown lenses inserted. I have some clear lenses that are a newer material that somewhat flexes when hit for wear on the indoor range or motorcycle riding after dark.
They have taken hits from broken clay targets, countless hits from autoloader brass, a few ricochets coming off steel targets, they have touched it out and my eyes have remained unscathed.

But, they are very modern looking.

Most everyday wear glasses can be made with polycarbonate lenses, but may sacrifice coverage and leave gaps for stuff to get under or around them, over glasses look goofy but are a much safer added level of protection.

I wasn't going to bother with poly lenses in my period frames. They are so small it seemed pointless. But, if by chance something were to hit the lense before my eye,,, real glass might make the problem worse.

Are you looking for something modern looking or something classic or vintage looking, or something pc/hc?

Foremost most of my daily wear outside, and for time training, teaching, and competing, on a modern pistol range, I swear by my Rudy Project glasses with interchangeable lenses. Mostly I wear then with polarized brown lenses inserted. I have some clear lenses that are a newer material that somewhat flexes when hit for wear on the indoor range or motorcycle riding after dark.
They have taken hits from broken clay targets, countless hits from autoloader brass, a few ricochets coming off steel targets, they have touched it out and my eyes have remained unscathed.

But, they are very modern looking.

Most everyday wear glasses can be made with polycarbonate lenses, but may sacrifice coverage and leave gaps for stuff to get under or around them, over glasses look goofy but are a much safer added level of protection.

I wasn't going to bother with poly lenses in my period frames. They are so small it seemed pointless. But, if by chance something were to hit the lense before my eye,,, real glass might make the problem worse.
vintage looking? I've honestly never categorized them as modern or vintage, so I'm having trouble with the mental image.

I managed to find these on MidwayUSA and think they'll suit me just fine.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018458347?pid=472949
1656505416739.png

vintage looking? I've honestly never categorized them as modern or vintage, so I'm having trouble with the mental image.

I managed to find these on MidwayUSA and think they'll suit me just fine.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018458347?pid=472949View attachment 147075
Excellent. As long as your eyes are protected, any eye protection is good in my book. Seeing people on the range with no eye pro' gets me pretty riled up (I've seen the damage that can be done 1st hand) and seeing people on the range with kids without eye pro' gets me enraged.

Opticians can option your lenses up. Shatterproof material. My favorite: Anti glare coating which helps a great deal with night driving, especially in rain.
Next time I go to the eye doc, I plan to bring that up. I haven't been shooting in years and I'm just starting to restock on the stuff I need to get back into it.

Regular glasses are not safety glasses. Safety glasses are not paintball glasses, torch, plasma, or welding glasses, etc.
Prescription safety glasses are very common and reasonably priced, and getting your eyes hurt or blinded is worth a good pair or three of them.

Regular glasses are not safety glasses. Safety glasses are not paintball glasses, torch, plasma, or welding glasses, etc.
Prescription safety glasses are very common and reasonably priced, and getting your eyes hurt or blinded is worth a good pair or three of them.
The over-spec ones I listed should suffice until I can look into prescription ones.

We had to wear eye protection at work. Your best bet (IMO) is to see your eye doctor and get prescription glasses that are Z87.1-ANSI approved.
Z87. 1 portion of ANSI standards references the standards for Occupational and Educational Personal Eye and Face Protection Devices.
Purchase additional removable side shields. The SS snap on and off in seconds.
Your glasses are better than nothing, but if they are not safety rated, how good they really are is just a guess. See your optomitrist!
Larry

That.
I've been wearing glasses for over 50yrs.
The current rules or regs for eye and ear protection at most shooting venues is a good thing.
Having prescription glasses on your face does count as the required eye protection.
The only time I use further protection is when I want to protect my lenses. Like when I'm grinding metals, whether it's from a Dremil stone, a die grinder or bench grinder,, I don't want "sparks" or fine metal shavings/dust hitting my lenses.

Side note;
Those of us that are long time wearers of prescription glasses,, We've become conditioned to the added protection.
I walk through the woods differently then non-glasses folks,, a leaf or small branch doesn't cause me to flinch or duck,
Wind driven dust, doesn't hit my eyes the same causing a squint,
Sun glare can be deflected with a tilt of my head,, and theres more
My body/brain has become accustomed to the protection.
My vision impairment could be mostly corrected with modern "Lasic" procedures, but if after all these years I changed to no-glasses, the flip side would be I'd probably gouge out an eye in the first week!
Besides, Mine are tri-focals,, I like the built in magnifiers, 👍
I find the same thing re: life time of eye protection. I tried contacts several years ago, but couldn't deal with all the junk (and wind) that got into my eyes, so I gave them up. The Workplace Safety folks would be overjoyed if everyone needed to wear glasses all the time. Still lots of injuries from people removong the safety glasses 'to get a better look'.

Back