• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eye protection for someone with glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was an optician for 10 years. All RX lenses dispensed in the US must pass : The "drop ball" test determines the basic impact safety classification for lenses. In this test, a one-inch diameter steel ball is dropped onto the lens from a height of 50 inches. To pass, the lens must not crack, chip or break. All glass safety lenses must undergo this test. NOTE: this is for basic impact test. There is also a high-impact standard that I am not familiar with.
In addition most of these lenses will have UV protection built in , except CR-39 plastic. The vast majority of RX lenses made are polycarbonate which is the most impact resistant of the RX lens materials. The other common mat'l is high-index plastic which is for folks with stronger prescriptions. Very few RX's are filled with optical glass or CR-39 in my experience.
I wear my prescription eyeglasses for shooting but I do keep safety over-glasses around for when I want to protect my RX lenses. The choice is yours.

Had Lasik surgery after over 40 years of thick prescription glasses. First duck hunt with no glasses, bent over and got a stick in my eye. That was an "eye opener". M/L shooting for me always involves eye protection.

I've been shooting all kinds of stuff and blowing stuff up for over 40 years and have just worn my normal poly whatever bi focals with no troubles. Haven't seen anybody around me with the same glasses type get into a problem.

If you've ever had a piece of metal ground out of your pupil by an opthalmologist you'll wear good eye protection. The eye patch for 2 weeks was a pain too. Just saying.😢👁

I have to wear reading glasses to read and to see the front sight of my rifle. I need a higher diopter for reading but a low power pair to shoot. We have a couple pairs of the safety glasses that cover the whole eye for the saws, drill press and grinder. They go over the reading glasses and all I have to do is remember to use them.
images-70.jpg

Opticians can option your lenses up. Shatterproof material. My favorite: Anti glare coating which helps a great deal with night driving, especially in rain.
You don't have to option up to get shatterproof lenses. All lenses have to meet minimum ANSI standards for breakage. Polycarbonate are the toughest lenses against breakage CR-39 or any other resin lens material is resistant to breakage. Even glass is either heat treated or chem hardened. If they break they don't break into sharp chards. They crumble like a car window

I was an optician for 10 years. All RX lenses dispensed in the US must pass : The "drop ball" test determines the basic impact safety classification for lenses. In this test, a one-inch diameter steel ball is dropped onto the lens from a height of 50 inches. To pass, the lens must not crack, chip or break. All glass safety lenses must undergo this test. NOTE: this is for basic impact test. There is also a high-impact standard that I am not familiar with.
In addition most of these lenses will have UV protection built in , except CR-39 plastic. The vast majority of RX lenses made are polycarbonate which is the most impact resistant of the RX lens materials. The other common mat'l is high-index plastic which is for folks with stronger prescriptions. Very few RX's are filled with optical glass or CR-39 in my experience.
I wear my prescription eyeglasses for shooting but I do keep safety over-glasses around for when I want to protect my RX lenses. The choice is yours.
Well said. I was also an optician. I got out of the field in 1982

Back