Extremely frustrated

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Using my new loading method I took this 6 point buck on my property last Saturday morning using my .50 Lyman GPR. .495" ball and 70 grains of Goex 2f. 56.5 yard shot. He moved just as the gun went off and the ball took out his spine right above the lungs.

Attachments

• 20221126_075248.jpg
    20221126_075248.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Reaction score
The weird thing is that earlier today I was shooting a 1917 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 at 100 yards, benched, open sights and put 4 rounds into 1 1/2". My open sight shooting with the GPR at 50 yards was about 3 1/2".
With all due respect, yes seriously, with all due respect......

what do you expect???? Traditional muzzleloaders are NOT cartridge rifles! 3.5" CTC 3 or 5 shots at 50 yards is OK.

Reaction score
I am quite aware of that. I'm also quite aware that my particular rifle is capable of 3 rounds into 1" - 1.5" at 50 yards ctc. Therefore 3.5" was not acceptable to me.

Reaction score
Using my new loading method I took this 6 point buck on my property last Saturday morning using my .50 Lyman GPR. .495" ball and 70 grains of Goex 2f. 56.5 yard shot. He moved just as the gun went off and the ball took out his spine right above the lungs.
Glad you got that all sorted out! Nothing more frustrating than a rifle that won’t shoot.

Tom A Hawk

70 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The weird thing is that earlier today I was shooting a 1917 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 at 100 yards, benched, open sights and put 4 rounds into 1 1/2". My open sight shooting with the GPR at 50 yards was about 3 1/2".
Mauser iron sights are a marvel of machining excellence for their day.

Reaction score
I put a scope on it and that is great. Its on a mount that replaces the rear sight so there's no permanent alteration to the gun.

If I was really going to be a big-time Swede shooter I'd buy one that already has a peep sight mounted on the rear of the receiver.

Siringo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When I shoot off the bench I hold onto the forearm. Why? Because that’s what you do when hunting. If you don’t any micro movement of the barrel sends the shot someplace else. Remember these barrels (especially a long rifle) are twice as long as a modern barrel. The instant the hammer or cock falls the gun moves while the ball is still in the barrel. The dwell time of the ball in the barrel of a muzzleloader can we easily twice as long as a modem gun. Without hanging onto the forearm, any twisting or butt movement sends the shot someplace else.

I have two Kiblers with the swamped barrels. I also have a 40 caliber with a straight octagon. The swamped barrels on any gun will be more fussy than a straight barrel due to barrel vibrations/whip. On a swamped barrel the placement of the barrel on the bags can have a huge effect on where the shot goes. Another reason why to hang onto the forearm. My straight barrels are not so fussy and much more forgiving.

Goex and Schutzen and not interchangeable. Meaning an accurate charge of 50 grains of Goex does not mean 50 grains of Schutzen will shoot the same. Both are dirty and swabbing between shots helps accuracy a lot . I switched to Old Enysford or Swiss long ago.

KDJ B10

32 Cal
Reaction score
What's also strange is I can shoot my .40 flintlock with open sights at the same distance as the GPR and put 3 rounds into one hole.

I think the GPR is posessed.
Does the GPR still have the wide front blade sight from the factory? Might try going to a narrower silver front sight. I noticed I shoot my GPR better after replacing the rear for a fixed sight and the front with a narrower blade.

Latest posts