• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Extended long range shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good to see you back. :hatsoff: Been a while.

But there is still time to get in on the long distance shootin'. A little time anyway...

Pretty much all you gotta do is shoot to place. Lotta talk :yakyak: , not much action. :idunno:

Jethro224 said:
It's good to see you back. :hatsoff: Been a while.

But there is still time to get in on the long distance shootin'. A little time anyway...

Pretty much all you gotta do is shoot to place. Lotta talk :yakyak: , not much action. :idunno:
I might just do that old friend. Got that new rifle in unfired condition.......can't hardly stand that :wink: Haven't fired one of my smokepoles in a loonnngggg time. Changed jobs 5 years back and while the pay has increased the shooting and hunting at work has been severly dimminished :shake: Have access to a private range out to 1761 yards, guess that oughta do it. I have time this coming Saturday and even Christmas day as we are celebrating early this year. I will dig out my shootin supplies and let you know.

Jethro224 said:
Have access to a private range out to 1761 yards

:shocked2: That's a range!
How many times do you have to skip the ball to hit something out there?
LOL........yeah it's gettin out there. Be kind of like bowling with a frontloader :shocked2:. Spent a lot of time gettin that last plate set at that exact distance, just so I could say I shot over a mile. Obviously for them other rifles what load from the wrong end. Only way they are any fun anymore.

Gonna introduce another one of my friends to front loaders on Saturday.....at closer range :wink:

Iam thinking about trying this but have never attempted such a shot.The load will be a .535 round ball over 90 gr of 2f down a 34in 1-70 twist caplock.Roughly what holdover at 400 yds will strike the target?

Many Klatch or Lazarus could tell you for sure. They were the only two members who turned in hits last time.
They shot it at Friendship. Many Klatch said they posted the target on the 400 yard berm and he was aiming about the top of the 500 yard berm.
Bring along a good spotter and shoot on a dusty range. :wink:

stormcloud said:
Iam thinking about trying this but have never attempted such a shot.The load will be a .535 round ball over 90 gr of 2f down a 34in 1-70 twist caplock.Roughly what holdover at 400 yds will strike the target?
Been wondering about the drop myself. We appear to shoot the same load which, if I remember correctly, chronographs right close to 1900 fps. Assuming .075 ballistic coefficient for a 230 grain round ball (I found the information on the internet so who knows) you can figure on about 40 feet of drop. Hopefully that will get you within 6 feet :wink:

I will need to back down to 200 as our 400yd berm is close to the property line and all rounds must impact the berm.A round leaving the range could get me kicked out of the club or worse-shutdown our range :shocked2:

stormcloud said:
I will need to back down to 200 as our 400yd berm is close to the property line and all rounds must impact the berm.A round leaving the range could get me kicked out of the club or worse-shutdown our range :shocked2:
You can start lower with a spotter and walk em into the target......that's what I'm going to do if I have time to do it.

Jethro,

Have you posted the results yet for this match or is it still going?

Butch

It's over. I just gotta track down the entries so I can post 'em. Coming soon.

I have to apologize because I dropped the ball on this one. Due to my procrastination (and a lightning storm) I lost the info I had saved in a document on my computer.
There were only two contestants who submitted scores. recoil and Hermit.

I have Hermit's paper targets that he sent. A 200 yard target with 3 holes and a 100 yard target with 5 holes.

I thought I had recoil's info in the same place but it was not there. If I recall his was a 200 yard target but I am really not sure. And I don't remember how many hits he got. I looked high and low trying to find it to no avail.

This being the case, I declare there are 2 winners; recoil and Hermit.
There is one loser; me. :redface:

Nah! can't be two winners. We will make Hermit the grand winner :bow: he stuck it out for the 200 and 100 with some bad weather I gave up at the 100.

Butch

I'm truly sorry that I lost your target Butch.
Please join us for another contest. I promise I'll do better.

Are you running a comp for 2015? I'd love to have a go & I recon I could sign a couple of others up to the forum as a bonus.

I hit a 6' target at 2" above the ground at 100 metres with a 75? cal brown bess. I pointed it up at an angle of about 45 degrees.

Luckily I have a 45 Kentucky flintlock which should do the job over 200.

I was not planning to do the long range shoot again. Lots of talk but barely any targets turned in. :idunno:
Try it anyway with your buddies. Should make a fun day of shooting.

They was starvin' fellers turned sideways. :haha:

I don't remember where I came up with the target sizes. Probably pulled 'em out of thin air. But they were meant to simulate the size of what an enemy soldier would look like at 400 yards.

Back