• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Extended long range shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
While there was some interest shown in the previous long range shoot, there was a very small turn-out of folks who actually shot. 2 shooters at 400 and only one at 200 yards.
That being said... those who did try said it was fun and a couple others said they want to try but missed out on getting it done. Then there are some who just don't have the range to shoot at these distances. It was requested that we do it again, so here goes, with a couple changes;

You may enter one, two, or all three contests.
Forum members only. Sign 'em up if they aren't a member.
Traditional muzzleloaders only.
Traditional open sights only.
Patched round ball only.
PT me a picture of your target and tell me how many hits you got and what range you shot.
This contest will run all the way until the end of 2014. I will post the results after December 31st 2014.
THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD. Git 'er done before you forget!

400 yards. 2 foot by 6 foot target. Any position. Rested or not. 20 shots. Highest number of hits wins.

200 yards. 9 inches by 24 inches target. Any position. Rested or not. 20 shots. Highest number of hits wins.

100 yards. 3 inches by 8 inches target. NO RESTS other than your own body parts. Any position as long as the rifle is not rested on anything other than your own body parts. 20 shots. Highest number of hits wins.

You will notice there is a 100 yard option that has been added for those without access to long range shooting.
You will also notice that the closer targets are quite a bit smaller and no rests are allowed at the 100 yard range. It was pointed out that wind etc, would affect the shots more at the longer ranges. I made the closer targets smaller and more difficult to help offset this and make it more of a challenge.
Good luck hitting paper.
Bring a spotter. They can help "walk you on to the target".

Jethro you guys are some hard holders to shoot a round ball sparker that far :applause:
I will wipe the dust off my Southern tomorrow if the temp gets above 10 degrees and not snowing.
Not sure I can see the 3X9 strip of paper at 100 yds maybe if I get some black tar paper for a backer and sit on a 5 gallon bucket and rest the elbows on my knee if that is OK? and give it a shot. "bout ready to climb the walls cooped up in the House.
Not sure what mean by PT the target pictures?

Butch

Butch,
This long range stuff all came about because of a topic that got out of hand. Normally we shoot at 25, 50, or sometimes 100 yards.

Don't expect to have a whole lot of hits out of 20 shots.

Sitting on your bucket elbows on your knees is fine.

Hover your mouse cursor over the little blue "user options" box under my avatar. A drop-down will pop up. One of the options is "start private topic", click that one. PT stands for Private Topic. It works kinda like e-mail just on the forum.
Pictures are a whole different thing. If you have any trouble just ask and I'll help you.

I'm gonna do this. Buripity has 400yds to shoot targets. I best start planning cause the deadline will be here soon enuf. GW

Well Jethro the temp got up to 28 degrees this morning and I put up the little 3"X8" strip of paper and sat on my bucket and managed to get two shots off. Misses the first but the second cut better than a 1/2 ball. But the 25 mph winds tore the target off and the snow started coming down pretty hard to just about wiping out the cardboard backer so I :surrender:

Butch

So, after only 2 shots, the enemy retreated. :haha:

That's OK. You can engage them again when the weather is better for a campaign. Maybe next time they will "hang around" until you get all 20 shots off.

No I retreated :grin: They're still dug in behind the snow bank. :haha:
Its just too cold when you take patch out of your mouth and it freezes on the muzzle before you get the ball seated :td:

Jethro224 said:
100 yards. 3 inches by 8 inches target. NO RESTS other than your own body parts. Any position as long as the rifle is not rested on anything other than your own body parts.

My local range had become politically correct and allows shooting on its longest range (100yds)only from seated position at bench.

Does it meet rules if I sit at bench and rest rifle only on my hands with elbows on bench?

Can't explain why. Not long ago, I was regularly shooting off-and, standing, use cross-sticks while seated on the ground and so-on. Then they started "re-modeling"and put up 2x8s to block out any effort to shoot on 100 yard range while standing.

Overall, not very BP friendly any more. Of course, they get a large number of untrained, uneducated shooters there with their AR-15s and red-dot sights, etc., and maybe they are paranoid about having those guys standing up spraying shots everywhere.

I have recently made contact with a BP club in my area that has a range available to members. Can't wait to get in on that.

MDK_WV said:
200 yards. 9 inches by 24 inches target. Any position. Rested or not. 20 shots. Highest number of shots wins.
:hmm: Is this a misprint?

Yep! OOPS! Thanks for pointing that out.
I fixed it.
Highest number of hits wins. :thumbsup:

Just had the second go-round of surgery on my shoulder. So i'm out again.
No hunting,either. Hey, maybe if i get a four-wheeler and an army of people to help me, i could get an elk! :blah:

Well heck, Mike, shoot offen the other shoulder. :idunno:

Hope you heal up fast. :thumbsup:

So far there has been ONE entry for this contest. Don't forget to get out there and shoot before the weather gets bad and the snow gets deep and time runs out!

Dang Jethro......400 yards? I wish I'd have re-joined you guys sooner, this sounds fun. I'm thinking my .54 at 400 yards, 230 grain round ball with the ballistic coefficient of a sewer lid.....what 20 - 25 foot drop? If a guy was to enter in all three you could sure put a big dent in a pound of powder. :wink:

Welcome back Stranger :hatsoff: if you'll read back a few pot Many Klatch did some testing and the results may surprise you I know it did me.

smo said:
Welcome back Stranger :hatsoff: if you'll read back a few pot Many Klatch did some testing and the results may surprise you I know it did me.

Hey good to hear from you! :hatsoff: I may just have to go out tomorrow and see what I can do at 400 yards. I just happened to come into possession of a .54 caliber, never been fired, Mowrey a few days ago. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Got me to missin you guys so here I am. :grin: I never owned a muzzle loader that's not been fired and I suspect this will be no exception. Don't know much about these but I kinda stole it ($200) so I think I will be fine.

Back