• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Express .50 double barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired an express .50 made by Cva. Is this/was this a desirable rifle? Is the purpose to have a “back up” shot loaded ready to go when hunting?
Curious on load data for it. I have round ball and patches from a bobcat I shoot occasionally. Any info on this rifle is appreciated. Not sure if I’ll keep it because it is a bit heavy. But I would like to use it a few times to see what she’s like to shoot. Especially interested in how the two barrels sight in together.

I am not a CVA fan so I wont comment on the if it is desirable. If you like it enjoy it.

Yes, a double is for giving you a second shot quickly. Yes, they are heavy as you got all that extra metal.

Shooting a double can be quite frustrating if you are trying to figure out the regulated load and have one site for both barrels.

I assume that this gun has two sets of sights.

Fleener

Have you checked the twist rate of the barrels? Round ball twist or conical?

Fleener

From 2014"

The guns themselves are usually well made and work well. They are now available from .50 to .72 caliber. The problem I've always found is that they fall in a price range that prevents the level of detail required to regulate both barrels to a common point of aim like expensive English rifles will be. In some cases, they will be close enough for hunting, in some you may have to load two different type loads to get their POA to a common spot. Some shooters will develop the best performance and set the sights to that load, then use a bit of Kentucky-windage to use the same sight for the other barrel. It's a little hard to give you a solid answer, but they are pretty good guns.

If you do a search, there is a lengthy discussion on the rifle.

I’m fortunate to own a few original doubles and I’ve seen a few CVA at the NMLRA Safari Double Rifle match, over the years, shoot quite well. But, the originals seem to take higher scores.
Best to plan to experiment on paper…sometimes the hits tell you what needed to improve. Remember, there’s bore dwell time and recoil (right/left) effecting where the bullet goes.
Originals regulate with same load in both - hopefully you’ll see the same. A 4” group at 50y was satisfactory for makers in the day. Obviously, the better makers spent more time regulating, and their rifles offered had the loads marked in the case or on the rifle..
Good luck and have fun!

D628322E-28FA-48E7-ABC0-5629711E081E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back