• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Experimental Muzzle-loading Percussion Rifle??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a lot of people do not understand is that "Central fire" was a term used in the 1850s (especially in England) for a percussion gun where the nipples (cones) were co-axial with the bore --- probably the best example are the earlier "pepperbox" revolvers: the later ones used RADIAL nipples which were less likely to cause chain fire. For regular pewrcussion revolvers of course the locating of the nipples in "wells" separated by partitions reduced the risk of chain fires significantly.
That would also explain the labels on a lot of cap tins, which used to confuse me when I was a lad (! some time ago !) because they said "Central fire" so I expected to see Berdan on Boxer primers.

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM but I do not undersatned why there seem mto be such strict Rules about datelines, especially when, for example, the Belgians were still selling vast numbers of flintlocks and caplocks after WW1 -- all to 19th Century designs. I really would apprecaite someone explaining the logic. (I DO understand why the Forum excludes the "modern" muzzle-loaders, often using a #209 primer.)

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM but I do not undersatned why there seem mto be such strict Rules about datelines,

It marks the end of an era. By 1871 every major military power in the world committed to abandon the muzzleloader for the breech loading cartridge rifle, and thus a new era was born.

Another example of Central Fire was the Bentley and Playfair Shot gun which had backward facing nipples with the hammers sat very low on the locks and recessed towards the centre of the barrels. Difficult to describe but some one some were must have photos.. OLD DOG

Another example of Central Fire was the Bentley and Playfair Shot gun which had backward facing nipples with the hammers sat very low on the locks and recessed towards the centre of the barrels. Difficult to describe but some one some were must have photos.. OLD DOG
See page one of this thread
Feltwad

Also the CVA Blazer rifle was a very cheap box lock hammer firearm. I had an original Wurfflein, made in Philadelphia in the mid 1800's with a box lock hammer action muzzle loader.

Back