• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

expansion of a 45 PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought this might be a good reference for the often asked question of is a 45 cal. enough. Here are 129 grain pure lead ball fired out of a 32 inch barrel with 65 grains of 2f, and impact was 50 yards. Flint lock of course!

IMG_1282.jpg

I was sighting in and some hit the stand that was 1.5 inch heavy pipe. Plenty of retained energy at 50 yards. Some day I'll see about 80 or 100

These balls were taken from deer I killed. The one on the right is a .50 and the other three are .45s. A .45 ball expands well in a deer and usually stops just under the off side skin. If it goes in and out then it may not have expanded. It's not easy to say what the maximum distance is for a ball to not expand because of variables such as velocity, lead softness, etc. But a non-expanded ball would be expected to go thru under those circumstances.

I've shot several deer with .440 roundball in my old CVA. All recovered, none went far. The farthest shot was +/- 80 yards the closest about 15 feet. The closest deer was shot through both lungs, ball went clean through. It ran the farthest, 150ish yards, but left a nice blood trail. No problem getting it done with .45.

Latest posts

Back