• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

expanding bar shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Expanding bar shot. I bought this at about 15 yrs ago. It has about 2.5 cylinder heads (approx) and 18" of 1' square bar with obvious indications of hand forging. It hit the ground or something. It can slide some. Not much. It is very ominious. Wonder if any of you guys could help with telling if it was from the 17 cent or the 18th. I realy don't know what it is. We are looking at a 30' "v" sitting on a piece of newspaper next to my moms phone. I tell her it's cool. Should we keep it next to the phone or junk it? I think it is Rev., could be privateer. What do you think I should do with it? Actually she hasn't said anything as it it so odd to her. I was just wondering. Why an old lady let a rusty piece of iron sit next to her telephone table so long? SHE LOVES ME!!! Expanding bar shot about 2.5 X 18 hand smithed forged slide. Do not know much about expanding bar shot. :what:

Bar shot was intended to cut through the rigging of ships thus making it much more difficult to maneuver. A number of permutations of the basic concept can be found. Some are a simple bar connected to two half balls, some employ the link design such as you describe, while others utilize a short length of chain.

In viewing a ships profile, it is readily apparent that the rigging and canvas offer the largest target. The downside of bar shot was the lack of accuracy and short range.

Thanks for the reply Will, What you said. I also found account of it being used against attacking formations at close range along with cannister packed along the rails. Ouch! :grey:

126_l.jpg

BAR SHOT
"Armed Forces History, Division of History of Technology, National Museum of American History
View this object in context 12 Pound Bar Shot
Catalog #: 58889N Accession #: 229338
Credit: Armed Forces History, Division of History of Technology, National Museum of American History"

Dimensions / Weight
Dimensions: 5" H x 16" W x 5" D
Weight: 12 pounds

chainbar.jpg

Chain shot and bar shot from the HMS Victory...

barShot02.jpg

Recovered from the wreck of the Vliegent Hart...

You surely don't want to junk it! It's not anything dangerous. A museum or collector would love to have it!

Capt. William

Latest posts

Back