• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

exit wound on a boar ising 535 gr no excuse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy to say when it's not your farm being rooted up to kingdom come by them.
Was going to get this helicopter outfit to come thin them out. But they wanted to charge me for letting them to charge people to shoot pigs on my land.
Sure buddy, I'm stupid like that. :doh:

We push them off to the wood line with the front end loader if the coyote hunters don't want one for bait.
You need help? I need meat in the freezer.

. . . the hog he took a couple steps
Just watched a DVD "Boared to Death" that makes your quick kill all the more impressive. The only guns in the video to drop boars in their tracks without a CNS hit were big nitro calibers, intended for use in Africa.

Even guns developing 4000-6000 ft-lb KE at the muzzle couldn't DRT every big boar with a single body shot. Some hogs absorbed two or three rounds to the vitals before going down.

Well done sir. 👍

ive got about 40 years experience hunting them. ive found the more air you can get into the chest cavity and blood out. given any caliber ive always used the heaviest bullet i can find to take hogs. i will use roundballs in .58 . and a couple bigger calibers

Just watched a DVD "Boared to Death" that makes your quick kill all the more impressive. The only guns in the video to drop boars in their tracks without a CNS hit were big nitro calibers, intended for use in Africa.

Even guns developing 4000-6000 ft-lb KE at the muzzle couldn't DRT every big boar with a single body shot. Some hogs absorbed two or three rounds to the vitals before going down.

Well done sir. 👍
There is another element to hunting i believe at times we dont think of my situation is i have a incredible area the main trails run North and South i am sut up to the east about 25 yards to the north is a big creek to the south east and west nasty thick thickets 99 percent of my shots are on boars that are not amped up most of the boars are coming in to check cut marks to see if a reptive sow has come through most of the time i will get a single solitary boar sometimes they will circle me if the wind is blowing but most come through stop and offer me a shot at 15-17 yards. totally unaware. under these conditions most of the time they drop in the tracks or waddle a few steps. On the other hand if a pig is amped up it may absorb more punishment. some will try the roundball vs conical debate which i enjoy discussing when a big boar 250 lbs and up comes in i want the heaviest conical per caliber i have with the excepotion of .58 caliber and up ive got several double 12s that love .690 roundballs a .69 roundball plows through both sides as well as when i use my pedersol kodiak .72 i use 54s mainly because i have quit a few in carbine versions.

He's one nasty looking fellow I'd not want to run into without a good rifle. What a wound channel!

Easy to say when it's not your farm being rooted up to kingdom come by them.
Was going to get this helicopter outfit to come thin them out. But they wanted to charge me for letting them to charge people to shoot pigs on my land.
Sure buddy, I'm stupid like that. :doh:

We push them off to the wood line with the front end loader if the coyote hunters don't want one for bait.

So, I do own a ranch in Texas and do have hogs.

While growing up on the sheep ranch on the coastal range in CA in the heart of pig country I have shot many, many pigs with 22lr up to 45-70, 9mm to 44 mag unmentionables, archery and once with 50 cal RB and a couple of things in common: 1.) CNS gets them everytime (used 22lr to head shoot them after trapping them). 2.) Unless massively destroying the heart/lung complex, they will keep on going for a while. 3.) I never feel overgunned while hunting them.....undergunned quite often, yes.

I am amazed at their durability.

Nice shooting.

Yeah, I eat them. Especially if they have been eating the acorn drop or rooting up fields.

Last edited:
Back