• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

exit wound on a boar ising 535 gr no excuse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own and hunt with a White Mountain Carbine, too. .530 round ball on top of 70 grains FFFg GOEX dropped a large pronghorn doe at 15 yards. Double lung,complete pass through and minimal damage to meat and hide. Same load used on full stock flint Hawken. What is the grain weight of the .535 No Excuse bullet and do they come pre lubed? Price per package or bullet? Never had much satisfactory accuracy with bullets beyond 50 yards so don't hunt with them. They aren't allowed on one club range I belonged to.

Of course we don't want to destroy most of the meat when we shoot a deer or hog, or whatever we are hunting. Shot placement, not bullet design is what matters most! If we don't totally destroy vital organs, we may not find the animal we shot! I aim at the heart, the lungs, or the neck. Making a mess, and loosing a shoulder happens sometime. However, you are a succussefull hunter!

Hogs are hard to DRT. You have to break down the shoulders or get a hit in the CNS.

Not a lot of meat in the shoulders, so no issue punching through there to drop them. Older boar hogs have a plate of hard fat or cartilage that can be close to 2” thick on their shoulders…the hog I have mounted went 375 pounds and hung off both ends of the tailgate of my F250. That plate stopped a .45 Silver Tip out of a 7 1/2” SAA at two feet when I walked up to finish him.

They can be tough.

Congrats! good shooting! Here in SC we have no closed season on hogs, and it's deer season now. There are special muzzeloader hunts on some public land, deer season is mostly just deer rifle season. Large boars can be un-edable, and hogs can have very dangerous paracites! Unfortunatly I don't know this from theory but experience! lol
Well, one year back in the early sixties, my dad put down 7 hogs that year during squirrel season while squirrel hunting. His weapon, a Savage Mod 24 22/410. The correct shot placement with patience gets em everytime. We ate well that winter with no side effects except full tummies.

No Excuses bullets,535 and 485 are offered with in 54 caliber with 50 per box at 29.00 per box plus shipping. Good boolits get sure!

I pretty much strictly hunt them at night so penetration is key especially in the thickets of East Texas. My reason for using heavy Conicals is to get pass throughs. Yes Ive killed them with .530 rb however no pass throughs. These heavy big Conicals put blood on the ground and air into chest cavity. Not knocking the awesome roundballs matter of fact in my .58s I pretty much use roundballs only as I get pass throughs. The 600 gr maxis do a great job as well

I own and hunt with a White Mountain Carbine, too. .530 round ball on top of 70 grains FFFg GOEX dropped a large pronghorn doe at 15 yards. Double lung,complete pass through and minimal damage to meat and hide. Same load used on full stock flint Hawken. What is the grain weight of the .535 No Excuse bullet and do they come pre lubed? Price per package or bullet? Never had much satisfactory accuracy with bullets beyond 50 yards so don't hunt with them. They aren't allowed on one club range I belonged to.
the diameter was .541 weight 535 and pre lubed price for 50 was 26.00 but i bought several hundred i initually bought them for my .54 great plains hunter with 1-32 twist but these bullets are to small for all of my lyman guns i bought 8# onion skin to use as paper patch material but ive yet to come up with a viable template so i tried them in all my tc muzzleloaders. i had no use to shoot for 100 yard groups. this bullet has been discontinued and believe the new weight is 520 or 525 offered in diameters .540 .541 .542 .543

No Excuses bullets,535 and 485 are offered with in 54 caliber with 50 per box at 29.00 per box plus shipping. Good boolits get sure!
yes sir i love them ive got a bunch of the 50 cal 600 grains sized to .503 they are hammerson any size pig same 80 grain charge

What utter rot

Easy to say when it's not your farm being rooted up to kingdom come by them.
Was going to get this helicopter outfit to come thin them out. But they wanted to charge me for letting them to charge people to shoot pigs on my land.
Sure buddy, I'm stupid like that. :doh:

We push them off to the wood line with the front end loader if the coyote hunters don't want one for bait.

got some pigs coming back so i took my handy .54 white mountain carbine loaded with no excuse .535 bullets wonder wad 80 gr pyrodex p. shot distance 25 yards completely wrecked the heart and lungs exited off side with massive wound and spewed blood several feet from the hog he took a couple steps
Nice hog how much did he weigh?

one of the many boars on my northeast
boar.jpg
Texas ranch

I would not eat a pig but I believe we shoot kill as many as we can..

Wild hogs in Florida carry brucellosis and pseudorabies. I always tried to keep my dog from licking the blood or biting one since both can kill a dog.
Since the hogs spread everywhere and cause destruction with their rooting, the state made it illegal to transport a live wild hog without a permit. On private land any legal method (no hand grenades) may be used to kill them day or night, year-round. No size or bag limit.

These hogs first arrived in Florida with Hernando De Soto in 1539.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember one hunt I was on where a guy on horseback shot a 300 lb boar with his Hawken and 54 Hornady Great Plains bullet (basically a hollow point minie ball). Went thru the shoulder and burst the heart and the boar still went 100 yds before dropping. When we found it, the ball had gone thru the opposite ribs, but didn't break the skin, bulging just under. When we cut it out, it was mushroomed beautifully. I told him he should send it to Hornady as a testament to their effectiveness.

Back