• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Excessive Riflousis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knew a fellow who bought a big safe. On the 20th trip from the second floor to the new safe in the basement his wife burst out with "How many ?!@!??^^^&&&& guns DO YOU HAVE?"

Nota bene: I have found that many women can not tell the difference between one similarly sized gun and another. When my wife looks at a gun and asks : "When did you get that?"

Oh I've had that for ages!

I got it man....
I got more rifles than I can carry to the range and I just can't bring myself to sell a couple off. Each one has a reason to keep it that equals "wahhh I don't want to" !
And to make matters worse, I find myself making excuses to buy another one.

Seems to be no cure.

Cleaned my guns today just as a preventative maintenance thing. Spouse was commenting I got too many guns. Then I went and spouted off about their increased value in the current market....I shouldn't have said that I think. I saw dollar signs in her eyes. Think I better hide the keys to the gun safe in some other place.
True that there is no cure but your minor problem does have a simple solution, make a wall chart listing each firearm and rotate their personal trips to the range on a fairly even cycle so as to assure them all a regular outing schedule. 🥴

By some standards, I would be considered to have a lot of firearms (unmentionables of rifle, shotgun, handgun persuaion as well as collectables, muzzleloaders). Despite always having my eyes open for firearms on my "always wanted" list, I started thinning the herd...significantly, about eight years ago. Primary need was to pay for several hunts I always wanted to go on (moose x 2, Africa x 1). Those choices were easy. Firearms that didnt hold significant meaning to me, that hadnt been fired /used in years. I have wonderful memories and experiences from the hunts, and havent missed any of the firearms sold.
We are down sizing our household. Old, poorly laid out house, inefficient to use for our lifestyle, and very expensive to heat. We are getting rid of alot. I still have many firearms that are literally collecting dust, no one in my family has interest in them, and I need to thin more.
Last year my wife bought for me a Lyman/Pedersoli flintlock GPR, my first flinter. It is a great rifle, but my Kibler Colonial is much more rifle, and it is doubtful the GPR will get shot much or at all now. I will be adding to the herd a smaller caliber (.45 most likely ) Kibler, of unknown persuasion at this point. I want to see actual first hand completed Woodsrunner rifles before I decide. There are times when more is'nt better, but at least I do take my proceeds from sales and roll them back into current or upgraded firearms (or hunts) so effectively I am still ahead.

I have some incurable addictions. PA long rifles. Savage 99's. Double guns and drillings of any sort. M1's. 1911's.
I'd have a MA Deuce but after the cost and the tax stamp I could not afford to feed it at the range.
Your addiction is shared. there is no vax against it. especially 99's. once i completed that list I started on 1899's, now onto 1895! have searched for a friday night meeting but seems Bill W didn't share that addiction.
just got a C in 22-250.
back to allowed discussion, i resist buying long rifle muzzleloaders anymore. more fun to build them!
Happy and safe Independence Day everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
fireworks.jpg

I think there’s a limit but it kinda depends on what you become interested in. I don’t let myself go down the rabbit hole with some kinds of guns because I just know I’d end up needing to own a few afterwards… no need to go there. I like having my own personal firearms museum/collection/hoard and although I’d never tell someone it’s a good way to make money…. At least they usually don’t go down in value if you buy them used, which is not something you can say about nights out on the town, or most cars, or the accessories of many other hobbies.

I've got my wife convinced that collecting guns is an investment something that I can pass on to my grandkids and their kids

I completed my first build after a painstaking period of time, was quoted saying I'll never do that again, 😒, 6 months later I started another one.! My kids have a better memory than I thought, cause they told my wife!! I'll have to remember that when I tell them something and they say they "forgot"

I got it man....
I got more rifles than I can carry to the range and I just can't bring myself to sell a couple off. Each one has a reason to keep it that equals "wahhh I don't want to" !

Seems to be no cure.

Cleaned my guns today just as a preventative maintenance thing. Spouse was commenting I got too many guns. Then I went and spouted off about their increased value in the current market....I shouldn't have said that I think. I saw dollar signs in her eyes. Think I better hide the keys to the gun safe in some other place.
Cynthia Lee,

While I sympathize, yes, even empathize your plight I believe that the term excessive riflousis is only the colloquial term for the condition. It is described in medical dictionaries as Rifle multa nimis syndrome (there is no Latin noun for rifle). It is common among those who build or collect muzzle loading weapons whether rifled or not. There is no cure but the prognosis is not discouraging. It is recommended that storage should be used and each must be fired semi-annually.

I got it man....

Seems to be no cure.

My dad has this disease…I helped go through his collection of muzzleloaders, a number of years ago. We cleaned each gun, broke them down and inspected each one, filled out a tag on condition and any needed repairs…took 5 days before we were done.

“You know dad…I think we have a problem…”. 3 days later he showed me another muzzleloader that he picked up.

I just finished my final build. Then, while reading the M/L Forum, I started thinking about making another "final build". Yikes! No cure for this affliction.
Yeah, I'm kind of sneaky in that regard as well. Buying individual gun parts and then assembling them over time allows one to fly under the radar with very little incoming flak damage from the wife! 😄 Actually, being a gun mechanic and home machinest opens up whole new vistas of opportunities that don't involve new gun purchases that would draw attention to ones accumulation of arms.

Last edited:
I have some incurable addictions. PA long rifles. Savage 99's. Double guns and drillings of any sort. M1's. 1911's.
I'd have a MA Deuce but after the cost and the tax stamp I could not afford to feed it at the range.
All I could afford of a Mah Deuce is a link belt of six rounds hanging on a corner of a tool crib! I do have a live tracer slug that has been pulled from a round laying on the base of my anvil that is a bit of a conversation piece! 😄

I am an Auctioneer and in the process of listing a gent's sizable collection. As his mind went so has the care to his pieces. I think I'll try to be content with those I have. Shooting/ hunting is more fun than cleaning dust off the muzzle of unused rifles.

I got it man....

Seems to be no cure.

Had to quit buy guns. Wife said I could buy any gun I wanted, BUT I had to let her buy a diamond, or other equivalent as well.

Latest posts

Back