• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Everything changed....(long)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to the range yesterday to try my new Swiss powder. I got 3lbs of 2F and 2lbs of 3F. I’ve been shooting Goex 3F all along and thought I’d try the Swiss to see if it was indeed a “better” powder. My normal load has been 75 gr of Goex 3F under a 490 rb with a .015 patch with Lehigh lube. My rifle is a late Lancaster .50 cal with a 42” Colerain barrel, flint and I prime with Goex 4F. With this combination, and my tired old eyes, I usually shoot one hole groups at 50 and about 2 to 3 inch groups at 100yds off a bench.

Started with the 2F and began with 60 gr and worked my way up to 80 gr in 5 grain increases. I used .015 patches, .018 ticking, Lehigh lube, beeswax/olive oil lube, 490 rb’s and .495 rb’s. I shot 5 shots with each combination at 100 yds from a bench rest. Calm morning, high humidity and no wind. After I tried the 2F, I switched to the 3F and ran thru the same combinations. Here are some of my observations:

I shot a test group first thing with my old load and the rifle was on. Wiped the barrel with a ballistol dampened patch ( first time I ever used ballistol as well) and loaded. The first group with 60 gr Swiss was pleasant to shoot. Recoil was very mild, more like a gentle shove than a kick. (I noticed this with all 2F loads compared to the same loads with 3F.) Went downrange to check the target and it was about a 5 to 6 inch group, 6 inches left and 4 inches high. Worked my way thru all the combinations and got increasingly worse groups up to the 80 gr loads, of which some were off the paper. Switched to 3F.

Got about the same results till I got to 70 and 75 grains. At that point my groups started to close up to the normal groups I usually shoot with Goex. Windage and elevation remained left and high. At 80 gr., they were all over the place. Moved over to the 50 yd range to better see the target and sights. With the 3F and 70 to 75 gr, it shot one hole groups in a sort of vertical string. That was with a 490 ball. I had already determined it hates 495 balls with any patch, lube,or powder combination. That’s where I left it.

As stated, I usually shoot Goex and use Lehigh lube. I never have to wipe between shots and with Lehigh, clean up is easy. After the first 5 shots of Swiss, I noticed a “crud ring” for lack of a better tem, about 3 inches ahead of the breach as I would load another round. I could hear and feel the crunch as I pushed the patched ball down to seat it. At one point the crud was about mid barrel and I really had to work to get the ball down. I wiped with a ballistol patch afer that one till I could feel no rough places. Still, all day after each 5th shot or so, I could feel a crud ring with both the 2F and 3F. Also, with Goex, my patches come out just fine. Some are even reusable. With the Swiss, every single patch whether I used the .015 or the .018, whether it was 60 gr or 80 gr was burned thru. The .015’s were just a smoking mass of black threads and the .018 ticking mostly were black with holes the size of the ball burned out of them. Can’t figure that out.
All in all it was an interesting day of shooting. Oh,.clean up with Swiss was a breeze as most folks say.
Moderators..if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the one you think is correct....

I guess the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies here.

Swiss powder obviously burns hotter and is frying your patches, hence the poor accuracy. You may want to retry your experiment using an over powder wad before the patched round ball and see if your patches survive and your accuracy improves.

RB you're right about the price, that's for sure. As for the fouling ring, that might be a product of the blow by from the burned patches. Sure don't have that with Goex that I've noticed. Russianblood is correct as well, if it ain't broke....well I just had to break it so I'd have something to fix I reckon. I'll pass on the over powder card. Good idea, but just one more part to have to fool around with. I'll go back to the range this afternoon and see what else I can make happen. Ain't it fun to experiment?

riverrat43 said:
Ain't it fun to experiment?
You're sure right about that...every weekend is a new opportunity to try this, try that...and there's no subsituting what you learn from racking up hours and hours of actual hands on time behind the sights, week in and week out, all seasons, all weather conditions...I am lucky to have the little private place to shoot that I do...a simple pole shed that keeps me out of the hot sun or rain, even has an electrical outlet for a box fan during this insane[url] heat...in[/url] the winter time, I take a 20lb tank of propane with a big radiant heater attachment on top...life is good
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
gee- i was thinking about giving the Swiss a try, but after your not so great experience, maybe i'll stick with red can GOEX after all. thanks for taking the time (and the expense) of going to the range and doing a real live, no BS, no hidden agenda, no vested interest field trial. such work is invaluable and i appreciate it a good deal.

thanks again!

msw

I've never used any Swiss powder, just Goex and Elephant, I couldn't tell any difference between those 2 as far as 'kick' but seemed to group about the same.
I've read that Swiss has a little more 'uuumphh' to it, maybe little more potassium nitrate or better grade of charcoal?

Well back to the range I went this afternoon. Quite an interesting turn of events. I decided this time to eliminate a bunch a variables so I only took 2 and 3F Swiss, 490 balls and .015 and .018 patches. I only used Lehigh as a lube. I set up exactly as yesterday. As I was looking the situation over prior to the first shot, I noticed that I was resting the barrel quite far down the forearm. I was thinking that I usually don’t put the rest that far forward. I decided to shoot anyway. 100 yd target. Same result as yesterday, lousy group, high and left. Patches totally destroyed. That was with 65 gr of 3F, .015 patch. For the next group I moved the rest back under the forearm, just in front of the trigger guard and fired 5 more. Lo and behold, 3 shots touching, one an inch away to the right and one flyer. All centered on the target. All about the same POI as I have with 75 gr of Goex 3F. Same type of grouping with 70 and 75 gr Swiss , but the POI was higher with each increase.

Switched to 2F. 75 gr was the best. Every bit as good of a group as with the 3F Couldn’t tell much difference in the .015 patch and the .018 ticking. Both were still being totally destroyed. The crud ring wasn’t as noticeable today either. Just a wee bit could be felt just as the ball was seated. Didn’t wipe between shots at all.

Moving the point of rest for the forearm made a huge, huge difference. Don’t know why I didn’t notice it yesterday. Think I’ll look into some drill or some .020 patching to see if I can stop the burning. Don’t get destroyed patches with 80 and even 90 gr of Goex. Hard to explain.

All in all I was pleased with the Swiss except for the price. Still it looks like I can get the same performance from 10 to 15 percent less powder per shot with Swiss, but doubt if it will offset the cost noticeably unless I shoot a whole bunch of cases on a regular basis, although I suppose every little bit helps.

I know you said you don't want to use an overpowder card or wad, but you are range shooting, and the minimal extra time it takes to pick up a wad, put it in the muzzle, then put your PRB ball in and drive them all down at the same time, seems to be fairly insignificant, when you consider the benefit of not burning up your patching. The patch is there to grab the ball and transfer the spin of the rifling to the ball. IF it seals the bore and rifling grooves from gases, fine. If not, use an over powder wad to do this task. Trying to find a material the correct thickness that will stand up to the heat and not burn out, or blow through can be difficult and expensive. The only thing I know will work in 99.99% of all guns, is teflon patches, and they are expensive, and non traditional. Stick with what works with your gun for the principle job patching is intended to do. To protect that patching from burning, either use a coarse filler, lick corn meal, or use an overpowder wad. Walter's Fiber wads work very well, and are not that expensive, or difficult to use.

I have been shooting Swiss for over a year now,I would not change back to Goex.If you are just punching holes in paper,you loads seem a little warm.I would not recomend shooting the 3f swiss in a 50,my best groups are with 2f Swiss.I just got two custom flinters Isaac Haines,both with Colerains 40 and 50 cal.The fifty shot well with 45grns at 50 yds,used 55grns at 100yds.I was using 490ball,.016 patch(actual),I have never experienced a crud ring with swiss,both of these barrels were new.I just use Stumpkillers liquid Moose juice,generally can shot 50 to 60 shots without wiping.I have used Ballistol as patch lube(1 to 5 with 1oz. of alcohol)with good results.Lehigh never worked well for me,not trying to start a debate.I wound try Stumpkillers patch lube,and try reducing your loads....Respectfully montanadan

Riverrat,
FWIW, I ran 40grains of Swiss FFFG in my 50 cal Hawken using .490 ball, .015 lubed patch to get consistent 2" groups at 50 yards. Your powder charge seems high for Swiss at that range.
I've since run out of Swiss and need to start from scratch myself with Wano PPP.
Smokey.

I think you should not shoot the 3F Swiss at all in the 50 cal, but use it in a .40 cal or smaller bore. Use a 1.5F or 2F in the .50 cal & also I would try a .015 patch & a .495 ball & the Lehigh. I suggest trying about 50-55 grains of Swiss for the best accuracy. (that is = to about 60-65 grains of Goex 3F)
On all the rifles with Colerain barrels I have used & built with, they have all shot best at .005 under bore size with a .015 to .017 patch.
:thumbsup:

I find the best resting point on bench shooting is right behind the entrypipe, as that is where ya are going to most generally hold the rifle when ya shoot offhand too, so set the sights from this support point. :hmm: Now the accuracy may be best supported at the muzzle, but you change the barrel weight distribution by doing this & it will generally change your POI when you shoot offhand.

Thanks for the input guys. Birddog..I'm gonna try the over powder cards just to see what it will do. Am also going to take my chrony to the range this weekend along with the #40 ticking I found in my junk box last night.Seems to be a tighter weave. I want to work up a hunting load that comes as close as possible to the accuracy and muzzle velocity of the load I hunt with using Goex. I always target shoot and hunt with the same loads

Well, I think you have several contributing factors for the patches being destroyed.
Ball/patch is too small for the charge of Swiss you are using. Swiss burns hotter & faster than the Goex, so it is blowing by the patches & burning it up.
If you don't have any .495 balls I can send you a few to try & that would quickly eliminate one thing. :thumbsup:

Thanks Keith, got plenty. Haven't found a load my rifle liked with any combination of powders, patches, lubes and 495's. I'll try your suggestion again this weekend though..thanks again\ for the generous offer.

Back