• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Everything .40 Cal. Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you 40 caliber lovers like me, Im thinking of getting a drop in barrel made for my Lyman GPR. Susie at Muzzleloaders Emporium has just spoke with me and they are a year out on making barrels. But I know they do good work. If this was you would you stay with the 32 inch barrel or go with a 30 inch barrel to help with some weight difference. I realize there probably isnt that much but lighter is better for older guys. Any other comments you might have are appreciated. In case you are wonder 1 in 48 is my twist choice also.
I shoot a .40 with an old GR Douglas barrel with 1:48" twist and it is my most accurate rifle shooting RB - very accurate to 100 yds and does well at 225 yds if I do my part.

I actually like the GPR, cool that you are wanting to put a .40 on it. Why not use a RICE barrel or GM barrel to have put on it? Why the slow twist 1:48 - in a .40? What type of projectile do you plan on using - PRB's? Get a 1:37 twist & shoot 180-200gr jacketed 10mm bullets.
Just wanting to shoot plain old roundie balls. I dont hunt I just like killing steel. As far as the other barrels go I dont have any one close by to do the barrel work like thimbles and breech plug. Ive looked around and dont see any drop in barrels to go with. 40 cal drop in barrels for a GPR are not very common

For you 40 caliber lovers like me, Im thinking of getting a drop in barrel made for my Lyman GPR. Susie at Muzzleloaders Emporium has just spoke with me and they are a year out on making barrels. But I know they do good work. If this was you would you stay with the 32 inch barrel or go with a 30 inch barrel to help with some weight difference. I realize there probably isnt that much but lighter is better for older guys. Any other comments you might have are appreciated. In case you are wonder 1 in 48 is my twist choice also.
Hey BigAl.
One of my GPR's is a .40 bore with the 32" factory original length.
0 Sheba A.jpg

0 Sheba C.jpg

It was right at the limits of what was comfortable for me in 2009.
Now it's getting heavier out there by the front sight.

Hey BigAl.
One of my GPR's is a .40 bore with the 32" factory original length.
It was right at the limits of what was comfortable for me in 2009.
Now it's getting heavier out there by the front sight.
I get that for sure. Its one of the reasons I was thinking about cutting it back to 30 inches.

And it could go octagonal to round.
I've considered octagonal to round tapered on some guns. Did it on a .50 smoothbore and it's fine as can be.

Never gave that a thought. Pictures just came thru on my end. I like the white look as that is how mine will come. What are you using on the outside of the barrel to help protect it?

I'm old and don't shoot over 50 yds. w/my .40 long rifle. I keep the loads throttled back , so any small game I shoot , isn't tissue vaporized , by too much velocity. A .40 rifled with , 1 turn in 56 " , is not fussy what you put down in the bore. It's accurate.

Just wanting to shoot plain old roundie balls. I dont hunt I just like killing steel. As far as the other barrels go I dont have any one close by to do the barrel work like thimbles and breech plug. Ive looked around and dont see any drop in barrels to go with. 40 cal drop in barrels for a GPR are not very common
Ok, I got ya, You can have one cut for you, get a Peccotonica parts for it. Hit Bob Hoyt up & have him cut you the barrel you want, send him your stuff.

Yes but what about the poor and old that cannot afford health care insurance in USA and developing countries like Nigeria where I lived and worked for 3 years For me the Uk health service is brilliant ,but I could not afford health care and private treatment. My kids have health insurance provided by their companies , but they don’t cover everything.

Not being able to afford health insurance is something most people and governments bring on themselves.
There should be a box on our income tax forms that the taxpayer can check to have an additional 10% withheld from their pay to VOLUNTARILY cover other people’s medical expenses if they are really bothered by the problem.
But we are getting off the subject of .40 caliber rifles.

Not being able to afford health insurance is something most people and governments bring on themselves.
There should be a box on our income tax forms that the taxpayer can check to have an additional 10% withheld from their pay to VOLUNTARILY cover other people’s medical expenses if they are really bothered by the problem.
But we are getting off the subject of .40 caliber rifles.
I agree, but should carry it further and maybe have an additional 50%+ taken out to pay for other peoples rent, groceries, fuel, heat, etc., huh?🤣🤣

Not so sure it’s interesting to know how poor mountain men and others then and now get hospital treatment if injured say hunting , etc but don’t want pages if it I found images of your civil war injuries horrendous on google images and they were cannon and muzzle loader injuries with a few exceptions

Bitter cold in uk

I routinely shoot .40 caliber bullets in a .45 caliber sabot that fits my T/C Hawken bore. My current load is 7 grains of 3f Old Eynsford and 70 grains of Triple 7 behind a sabotted 180 grain LSWC. Not quite the same, but enables me to use up my supply of .40 caliber bullets since my .38-40s were sold. Not sure how it would shoot .40 round balls, but I don't see any reason it would NOT.

I don't particularly care if your bullets are not popular. I'd be happy to see a post to that subject in an open forum. Nobody will lynch you... at least I don't think they would. They haven't lynched me yet.

A 10mm muzzleloader... who'd a thunk it?

I put a comment on a .4 “what did you do today “ As I have a 450-400 nitro double dangerous game rifle but look at the length of the bullet and the long case , 400 gr. 2250 ft sec. 4000 ft lbs along way from a muzzle loader but I love .4 calibre and I lived 3 years in Africa

But also got a .35 double percussion I think .357 180g pistol bullets are perfect. My cast ones probably too long. I wish you well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back