• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Everyone but me and two others know about this!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one a couple of years back, never thought of using it to clean out barrels. You don't have to spend $150 to
get one that works. This one that I picked up is a hand held model, does clothes, drapes etc.
The reason I bought it was, it gets dents out of stocks really well, and it fits in a shoe box, OK, a boot box.
Uses distilled water. Amazon has them for as little as $36.00, and that's a Bissell.
Got one and it is fine. Tends not to get used as much as it could. Drag it out of storage. Find the distilled water. Set it up. Use it for ten minutes. Then go in reverse order through the steps mentioned above. All this after doing a traditional cleaning and now needing to carefully relube, wax, polish.

It would be a handy thing if you got a new arm packed in cosmoline.

There's a lot of distilled water around here, even have a distiller for converting tap water. I use a CPAP machine every
night and another hobby is steam engines. Watched some videos on You-Tube about raising dings and dents from stocks.
Now chorizo mentions steaming a barrel out, hell yeah another use for it. It's just hot water, really hot water.
Back to the start of this thread, there are pipe cleaners with bristles in them? That's a new one on me. Gotta get some.

The curse of not having other traditional ML shooters to learn from or ML events nearby ..you discover by accident things that work
Cleaning fire channels between the chamber and drum is part of every rifle clean up for me and my faithful limp as a rag pipe cleaner has been my goto for this very important task ..along with wire, paper clips and anything else one might scratch his ear with
I had casually seen the CVA pipe cleaners right??? ..seen not read is the key word here ..these rascals have teeth just like a bore snake ..stiff fibers carry out chunks of crud the steel bristles break loose and it did so on what I thought was a fairly clean fire channel
So this is for you other two guys who have not heard or read of this either!
Hey we may even get some new ideas thrown out to make this part of cleaning an maintenance even easier
BEAR
View attachment 200969
One thing I don't see mentioned here...I assume those are the Bristled pipe cleaners?
If you go to a Tobacco shop you will notice there are Two Different types of pipe cleaners: Bristled and not bristle.
Commonly you ask for "Pipe Cleaners" you will be handed the cotton one with no bristles.

Personally I like the Bristled ones.
Not always available at lesser shops so you have to find one that Knows pipe smokers.
Also if you search for shops that have Churchwarden pipes you can buy either nice Long ones or an entire Coil and cut your own.

Another tip: as you bugger up the end, just clip it off and keep using. And they are great for scrubbing out Nipples, just fold the tip over and its twice the diameter for larger places.
Also the Bristled pipe cleaners can be cleaned and reused longer then the straight cotton non- bristled ones.

$2.89 at the Indian Smoke Shop down the street.
Still haven't used up the ones I bought years ago but saw them at the counter last time I was in, and you know me - HOARDER!

Attachments

• 20230305_124008.jpg
    20230305_124008.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Tell the Commander in Chief, House that you got it to help her with the cleaning.

The one I got is below...@ $150 cheap. Does floors great and grout fantastic and muzzleloader guns even better!

I even used it to steam a couple of dents out of stocks!

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Clean...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I like the idea of using it to remove a dent in wood. When I was a kid my mom would yell every time I used her iron and a wet wash rag to steam out a few dings in an old stock.

Here is what the steam cleaner got out of the flash channel. This is after swabbing in a bucket of hot soapy water, then flushing with clean hot water. It still got a lot out of the flash channel. It also gets the barrel WAY too hot to touch (got to use a mitten) so it drys quickly.

70248.jpeg70249.jpeg70250.jpeg

@TDM You soften her up any? You might get @SDSmlf give you some tips, he got his wife to buy off and now she is telling others how great it is for grout.

Last edited:
Back