• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Everyone but me and two others know about this!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The curse of not having other traditional ML shooters to learn from or ML events nearby ..you discover by accident things that work
Cleaning fire channels between the chamber and drum is part of every rifle clean up for me and my faithful limp as a rag pipe cleaner has been my goto for this very important task ..along with wire, paper clips and anything else one might scratch his ear with
I had casually seen the CVA pipe cleaners right??? ..seen not read is the key word here ..these rascals have teeth just like a bore snake ..stiff fibers carry out chunks of crud the steel bristles break loose and it did so on what I thought was a fairly clean fire channel
So this is for you other two guys who have not heard or read of this either!
Hey we may even get some new ideas thrown out to make this part of cleaning an maintenance even easier
BEAR
image0.jpeg

Damn, all you needed to do was ask! But then again, you don't know what you don't know so how could you know to ask about something you didn't know existed.

Yeah, I took a philosophy course one time in college because of all the cute girls in it....and something I didn't know was they all had snakes in the heads!

I use a steam cleaner with a pointed noozle. Take out the nipple, swamp the barrel out in hot soapy water as normal, then put the steam nozzle in the hole and let it take off. Blows out crud great. I also use it to clean around the snail and nipple hole. Blows all the crud off. Do the hot water rinse and it is good to go.

Even after swamping it out, the nozzle blows out crud.

I have ended up using my steam cleaner more on my ML guns than I do cleaning the house!

Take the little brush off
steam.jpg

Using the steam cleaner sounds like a very effective method @chorizo. Hate to buy another gadget to add to the pile but I probably will.
Tell the Commander in Chief, House that you got it to help her with the cleaning.

The one I got is below...@ $150 cheap. Does floors great and grout fantastic and muzzleloader guns even better!

I even used it to steam a couple of dents out of stocks!

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Clean...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Tell the Commander in Chief, House that you got it to help her with the cleaning.

The one I got is below...@ $150 cheap. Does floors great and grout fantastic and muzzleloader guns even better!

I even used it to steam a couple of dents out of stocks!

https://www.amazon.com/Dupray-Clean...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Oh yes, must pass muster with the Commander in Chief, can easily see the look on face when I say “Honey, this will be great for cleaning the house, but I need to keep it at camp for a while.”.

Oh yes, must pass muster with the Commander in Chief, can easily see the look on face when I say “Honey, this will be great for cleaning the house, but I need to keep it at camp for a while.”.
I missed this post!?!? One hundred and fifty US dollars to clean out nipples?!?! Good grief! Get yourself some Dawn and a pipe cleaner!

edit- Not directed @TDM but directed @chorizo

I missed this post!?!? One hundred and fifty US dollars to clean out nipples?!?! Good grief! Get yourself some Dawn and a pipe cleaner!
Why? You want to die with money in your pocket? I got rid of two wives, don't need a "forum" wife telling how to spend my money. Do I need to hire a divorce lawyer to get you off of my back?

Last edited:
I use a steam cleaner with a pointed noozle. Take out the nipple, swamp the barrel out in hot soapy water as normal, then put the steam nozzle in the hole and let it take off. Blows out crud great. I also use it to clean around the snail and nipple hole. Blows all the crud off. Do the hot water rinse and it is good to go.

Even after swamping it out, the nozzle blows out crud.

I have ended up using my steam cleaner more on my ML guns than I do cleaning the house!

Take the little brush off
View attachment 200989

Amen! I swear by steam. It's spotless when done!. Here's a clip of cleaning a wheellock barrel with my Pedersoli Turbo cleaner after proofing the barrel with a double charge. The main unit is on the Bobcat fender in the back. You can see the pressurized "mushroom clouds" coming out the touch hole while, at the same time, the inside face and sides of the breach are blasted clean and continuously flushed with steaming distilled water. It starts as a black river coming out the end of the tilted barrel and within 2 or 3 passes turning completely clear & clean. At the end you can see cleaning the lock, especially the pan and in and around all the crevices. All ready for a spray of oil on the hot parts to wick in everywhere when done.

A day at the spa for guns :-D

I've been using pipe cleaners since 1980.
They have their place. Especially those that @Brokenbear pointed out. In the field, a quick clean up before and after while on the range, and if you don't have access or can't afford a steam cleaner are just a few of the examples. I got 10 or 12 packages of them the other day off of amazon to use on all my guns and keep several in the truck door as they come in handy for lots of uses other than guns.

However, I was responding to this prompt from Brokenbear "Hey we may even get some new ideas thrown out to make this part of cleaning an maintenance even easier BEAR" because we had already discussed this privately.

So, if you have a steam unit available as also posted or have a house cleaning version (for which I originally bought my unit I linked to above) then for a thorough cleaning, the steam unit gets it done quickly and completely, leaving the barrel way too hot to touch so it dries out quickly with no flash rusting and it is still warm when you put whatever rust preventative you use on it, so it wicks into the crannies, pits and other places it may never reach if cold.

The unit I am using is ESPECIALLY helpful for those difficult to clean CVA/Traditions breeches.

I know, I know, this is a traditional lot of people here....200 plus years of tradition unimpeded by progress......but let's not poo-poo something that works well to keep our guns clean and functional for another 200 plus years of use.

Last edited:
They have their place. Especially those that @Brokenbear pointed out. In the field, a quick clean up before and after while on the range, and if you don't have access or can't afford a steam cleaner are just a few of the examples. I got 10 or 12 packages of them the other day off of amazon to use on all my guns and keep several in the truck door as they come in handy for lots of uses other than guns.

However, I was responding to this prompt from Brokenbear "Hey we may even get some new ideas thrown out to make this part of cleaning an maintenance even easier BEAR" because we had already discussed this privately.

So, if you have a steam unit available as also posted or have a house cleaning version (for which I originally bought my unit I linked to above) then for a thorough cleaning, the steam unit gets it done quickly and completely, leaving the barrel way too hot to touch so it dries out quickly with no flash rusting and it is still warm when you put whatever rust preventative you use on it, so it wicks into the crannies, pits and other places it may never reach if cold.

The unit I am using is ESPECIALLY helpful for those difficult to clean CVA/Traditions breeches.

I know, I know, this is a traditional lot of people here....200 plus years of tradition unimpeded by progress......but let's not poo-poo something that works well to keep our guns clean and functional for another 200 plus years of use.
I checked with the Commander in Chief about getting a steam cleaner. She didn’t say No, she said Hell No.

Back