• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Every now and then.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brit,
This is a curiosity question, or questions; are your seasons on rabbits open year round to keep the populations in check? I enjoy watching videos of other gentlemen in England, and elsewhere, have permission to clear the landscape of numerous rabbits with their 22's and other rimfires. Sometimes dozens are shot in a short amount of time.
Also, as long as I remember we were told to be aware of "Rabbit Fever" or Tularemia, and to not eat any rabbits before the first frost of the year (in Ohio rabbit season opens the first weekend of November, so that is not a concern). Is this a concern when you pot a coney? The videos of your fellow Brits, and those in Australia that shoot in warmer weather don't seem to be bothered by this disease, as they are cooking large pots of rabbit stew in their shorts and t shirts.
Thanks for sharing your hunting exploits in far off lands.
Hi.
Yes rabbits have no closed season in the uk and in many places are prolific.
However they do get disease but fortunately none that affect us. I still think it is sad though because the disease they do suffer was deliberately introduced and caused immense suffering. Myximatosis was introduced in the 1950's and still kills thousands. A virus carried in the rabbit flea.
The other is more recent and is from....dont laugh, China. VHD or viral hemorrhaging disease causes internal bleeding.
I use to sell 1000 rabbits plus a year and was a good earner for a country lad. I dread to think what the number of 22's, airgun pellets and centerfire rounds are that I have used against them and then there is the shotguns too!
I must admit, winter rabbits are best. They start breeding now here and wont stop until gone September.
I have a lot of respect for rabbits. Everything is after him but he keeps trying to survive.

doubleml 003.jpg

A picture from several years ago.

Feltwad, sir,
What is it that drives you to judge others based upon your personal beliefs? Is it the need to feel powerful? The drive to feel superior? Or simply that you are that insecure?
Was your statement called for?
Walk
Yes my statement was called for because there is too many false statements about the UK sportsman wrote in these forums . Sitting shots here are frowned upon and not sporting big estates which are keepered put back with rearing and good management with a lot of money ploughed into the game season which are the back bone to UK game shooting . The little shoots also benefit from staying birds and with vermin kept to the minimum but most take out and put nothing back who rely on the estates ,The UK game shooting season is one of the best in the world and the envy of many it bring in revenue from foreign shooters which includes the States the popular type of shooting is driven birds which are driven towards the guns mostly pheasants and partridge and also the unique red grouse which only exists in the UK The owners and shooters on these estates are by many revered too has snobs of which I have been called by people in these forums because I shoot driven birds but I am far from a snob just a retired working class chap who started work at 15 years in the coal mines.
Feltwad

Congrats Brits and love the photos.Do you ever have to wear a bright color like we have to wear Orange here while hunting?

Thank you, Britsmoothy, for the reply and the information. My grandfather used to sell many rabbits when he was young, back in the early 1900's. They paid for his ammo to go hunt more. With all the food laws on the books now I suspect that is a practice that cannot be conducted in the states any longer. Not sure, haven't tried.
By the way, I won't judge you, no matter your method. I personally don't enjoy sitting in a box blind nor a pop up blind to hunt deer. Takes the fun out of it for me, so I won't. But I won't rub their noses in it who do (except one young man who is arguably one of the best hunters in the woods. He is too good to start sitting in a box, LOL). Some curmudgeons seem to waste their lives trolling posts to pounce on their conceived infractions of propriety. All the best to you, good sir, for being an enjoyable gentleman that shares his exploits afield with those of us on the other side of the Atlantic.

many revered too has snobs of which I have been called by people in these forums because I shoot driven birds
You don't get referred to as a snob, "because I shoot driven birds."
You get referred to as a pretentious snob because of the way you denigrate others who don't share your views and practices.
The things written in this forum are in no way "false statements," that make anyone in the UK, or it's game seasons and shooting look bad. The way you speak to and about others on the other hand gives credence to the view that the shooters at these game shoots are the type to "look down their nose" at others.
I don't shoot birds on the ground as on the properties I can hunt birds, under the conditions we hunt them, it would be unsafe. If I really needed the meat it would be a different story, I'd find a safe angle to get my shot. I'd rather shoot a rabbit sitting still that I've spotted and know I can hit, than risk shooting at one chased by a dog with the possibility of hitting the dog.

And I reiterate, it isn't how you hunt that has caused your reputation with some of us,,,, it is how you treat and speak to others.

You get referred to as a pretentious snob because of the way you denigrate others who don't share your views and practices.
The things written in this forum are in no way "false statements," that make anyone in the UK, or it's game seasons and shooting look bad. The way you speak to and about others on the other hand gives credence to the view that the shooters at these game shoots are the type to "look down their nose" at others.
I don't shoot birds on the ground as on the properties I can hunt birds, under the conditions we hunt them, it would be unsafe. If I really needed the meat it would be a different story, I'd find a safe angle to get my shot. I'd rather shoot a rabbit sitting still that I've spotted and know I can hit, than risk shooting at one chased by a dog with the possibility of hitting the dog.

And I reiterate, it isn't how you hunt that has caused your reputation with some of us,,,, it is how you treat and speak to others.
Save your breath friend. You may as well bludgeon your own head on a brick wall!
The pole is in to deep!

[/QUOTE

Speaking the truth does not agree with some who have little understanding on Uk game shooting
Feltwad[

Speaking the true does not agree with some who do not understand the UK game shooting so why make it some thing it is not .
Feltwad
IMG_0363.JPG

Last edited:
Feltwad, I was taught when hunting rabbits if you catch him sitting you shoot him in the head, no pellets to deal with. Also when younger I was a prolific rabbit hunter my allowance of shot shells was 5 when you came home you best have at least 4 rabbits (the limit) and if you had the 5th shell all the better. I still hunt them but not as much as years past, favorite time is right after a night time snow fall with a small bore rifle just creep along the brambles and look for that big black eye. Do your own thing but never judge another hunter the way he hunts if it is legal. And if you have never hunted rabbits behind a brace of beagles you have never really hunted rabbits. Good job Brit and good dog, just talked to my buddy we are getting ready for a day chasing the bunnies he will bring his pooch along should be a great day, maybe I can catch one or two napping before the dog rises them.

I've been hunting for sixty + years and have never seen, nor even heard of anyone shooting a sitting game bird or duck for that matter, well turkey being the exception, but if you have hunted them you will know why.
Robby

Feltwad, I was taught when hunting rabbits if you catch him sitting you shoot him in the head, no pellets to deal with. Also when younger I was a prolific rabbit hunter my allowance of shot shells was 5 when you came home you best have at least 4 rabbits (the limit) and if you had the 5th shell all the better. I still hunt them but not as much as years past, favorite time is right after a night time snow fall with a small bore rifle just creep along the brambles and look for that big black eye. Do your own thing but never judge another hunter the way he hunts if it is legal. And if you have never hunted rabbits behind a brace of beagles you have never really hunted rabbits. Good job Brit and good dog, just talked to my buddy we are getting ready for a day chasing the bunnies he will bring his pooch along should be a great day, maybe I can catch one or two napping before the dog rises them.

My great Uncle who if alive would be about 110 years old was real big into Rabbit huntin.He used to carry a .22 Pistol with him for which he refeered to was for sittin Rabbits.

Speaking the true does not agree with some who do not understand the UK game shooting so why make it some thing it is not .
FeltwadView attachment 59971
While how you treat some others may rub me wrong, I can't ever say that I don't appreciate some of the pictures you've posted.

I also don't think I've ever seen where Britsmoothy has said his is the only and proper way to do things. I'm quite sure that under the circumstances of an organized shoot, he would acquit himself admirably. But his situation and circumstances is not that.

Back