• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ever clock your shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanatim

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just clocked my shotgun 12ga 1 1/4oz - 2F square load. Highest velocity no matter the wad column was 1086fps. Just curious if others get more/less with theirs?

Couple things important about m/l shotguns.... Use equal amounts of powder to shot by volume. Use one size shot larger than you use in modern cartridge shotgun applications. To prevent blown patterns caused by too tall of a wad column , use only two .125 card wads on top of powder. The .125's decelerate quickly and the shot is not scattered. Also , on top of the shot ,use 1/2 of .125 wad to hold shot in place. Works for me..

Equal volumes is the square load I mentioned in the post, My patterns are about as perfect as I could hope for. Better then my 11-87. The question was one of speed. I'd like to get 1150 out of it maybe.

Does a difference of 130fps really matter though?
Perhaps not, but with the other poster quoting "book" velocities so much higher and my own reading of other materials that confirm what was stated, I have to question my methods. The brain trust here is fantastic and I was hoping to tap in to see what was possible.

Shot slows pretty quick, and straight bores open up quickly. Something that counts at forty yards might not matter for you at twenty five. Turkeys thumper and tree rats seem to go down pretty quick in range.

130 FPS could mean the difference between a 20 yard kill and a 25 yard kill.
something to consider.

Back