• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Evaporust Magic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m getting ready to use Evapo-Rust for the first time on a mildly rusted bore. How long should I let it remain in the barrel?
I usually let it soak for 24 hours. Make sure no EvapoRust gets on any bluing. If you are just cleaning the bore and don’t want to harm the bluing, you need to find a way to hold the barrel vertical while filling it and to hold it steady while EvapoRust does it’s thing. I held the barrel in this photo with a woodworking vice mounted to the side of a bench before careful filling the bore to the top. One trick that I learned was to fill the barrel with water as practice run, then pour the water into small clear container. Mark the container on outside to show the amount of water held in the barrel. You then have a measuring device for the exact amount of EvapoRust you will need. Avoids mess of overfilling bore.

upload_2019-5-14_15-24-34.jpeg

upload_2019-5-14_15-36-25.jpeg

Just follow the instructions on the bottle, it doesn't take long though leaving it too long doesn't hurt anything. Mild rust will be gone in 15 to 30 minutes. If you didn't get it all the first time you can repeat.

I used it on the bore of my rusty Rogers & Spencer. I removed the cylinder and placed a small cork in the bore, poured in Evaporust and sealed the muzzle end with another small cork and left it over night. It did good work and I could see the rifling in the morning when I dumped it out. Unfortunately when I cleaned the bore up the deep pits reappeared. No problem with the Evaporust, but the bore is pretty well gone in the gun show special I bought cheap. It still shoots, but is no tack driver.

A direct quote as a result of an inquiry to Evapo-Rust, emphasis added:

"If rust is under the nickel plating then yes Evapo-Rust could cause the plating to be removed. Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions!"

I used it on the bore of my rusty Rogers & Spencer. I removed the cylinder and placed a small cork in the bore, poured in Evaporust and sealed the muzzle end with another small cork and left it over night. It did good work and I could see the rifling in the morning when I dumped it out. Unfortunately when I cleaned the bore up the deep pits reappeared. No problem with the Evaporust, but the bore is pretty well gone in the gun show special I bought cheap. It still shoots, but is no tack driver.
Did you re-crown the muzzle?

Thanks to the OP for posting this! Learned sumptin' new today. And have a solution to any future rusted projects.

Back