• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

European wall hangers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got two "flintlock wall hangers" from my wifes father when he died. He retired from the navy and got these in Spain. They were made for the tourist trade and the barrels are cast or pop metal, they're manure and I am pretty sure the locks are pop metal. Only wall decoration. BUT I think I can salvage the stock and triggers, I need barrels and locks. These are the type of barrels that have the metal ramrods on hinges that flip over into the barrel. I will get pics up later today.. I think I can make these "shooters" with new parts....I just need to know where I can get these particular type of barrels, would prefer rifled but would use smoothbore....

On a side note,,,, one barrel has inscription on it and my research indicated that this particular style was made for "guards to the Spanish King"...

Thanks for the correction always love to be corrected. That was my plan, to build a new pistol.. Got the stock, butt plate, trigger guard, "nose cap"... , so I need a barrel and a lock... Can't add pics as I can't figure out how and if I gotta go to photobucket or some nonsense it ain't worth the effort...

I cannot find a source for the barrel type where the ramrod is hinged to the barrel...

You are also going to need a new piece of wood, as its very unlikely that you are going to find a barrel, and lock that will fit the existing stock. Locks can be bought from a number of makers/suppliers. see the LINKS section here, on the index page, up under Member Resources. Barrels can be bought in all kinds of sizes, but not necessarily exactly what you have on those wall hangers. Barrels need tangs, and breech plugs, too, and that is where you are LEAST LIKELY to find something that will match the wood of your stocks. Sorry about that. :nono: :idunno: :surrender: :hmm:

I like making guns from various parts and pieces , but as the others have said , I think trying to build shooters out of these would be a lost and possibly and expensive project ! :hmm:
One thing you might do is make lamps or bookends etc. from them. :thumbsup: Put your time and funds into a kit gun , or build a gun from scratch , in the end you'd have a gun that would really be shootable and the cost might not be much more expensive . :v
By making a decorative project from thease "guns" it might make your wife happy and thats woth a whole lot . :hatsoff:

I took all that into account, I am not exactly a novice. I have built a couple of guns and refinished several more..Just looking for sources that I may have overlooked and maybe open an interesting discussion. When researching these, I actually found interesting conversation about these being awfull "fakes" and when and where they were made. And what they were based on. And on antique gun auction sites, the original and authentic pieces these were modeled after were very expensive

As was mentioned, there are several different barrel makers who can supply special barrels but, if you go to one of these people, expect to pay several hundred dollars for the barrel and wait at least a year for your new barrel to arrive.

These barrel makers usually have a large backlog.

As for the lock, the only thing I can think of is to buy a Siler "Gunmaker's flint lock kit. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=14&subID=148&styleID=1050

You would have to grind/file the exterior to match the existing faux-lock.
Even then, the stock may not have enough room to install the lock because the springs and bridle are undoubtedly different.

Then we get to the quality of the wood.
A wall hanger gun may be made from a easily stained soft wood that is not suitable for use as an actual firearm.

As was hinted at, you would end up with a far better pistol if you bought a similar barrel and finished lock and a block of wood and built your gun from there. If you wanted to use the existing guns parts the trigger guard and grip cap (if one is present) could be used and the existing wall hanger stock would serve as a model to work from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I was trying to do the easy, not really the cheap. But it makes sense. I just don't have the time to build a pistol,,, sounds like bull, I know, but we continue to work on the house...and the other unfinished hobby projects uncompleated....Thanks again

blackhorse said:
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I was trying to do the easy, not really the cheap. But it makes sense. I just don't have the time to build a pistol,,, sounds like bull, I know, but we continue to work on the house...and the other unfinished hobby projects uncompleated....Thanks again
If you neither have the time, nor care about cheap, and want something easy, I'd recommend just buying a fully assembled pistol. It would give you everything you want without the headache of trying to convert a hanger into a shootable gun.

Back