• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms Rogers & Spencer 44 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older Euroarms marked Rogers & Spenser with serial number 009987, anyone have an idea what year it was made ?
I have a Spencer, too. Made in the 1980's, found it unfired at an auction, inside a tackle box; the auctioneer didn't even know it was there! They're nice revolvers! It's handy to print out a copy of the Date Codes, (Italian Black Powder Date Codes) and have on hand if you think you may be handling such items in future.

Nice. BTW, the N-NSA shooters, who do live firing, call themselves 'skirmishers", as opposed to the re-enactors, although there's no hard-fast rule. I got a R&S several years ago at an auction for about $275, un-fired, no box, hidden under the tray of a tackle box; the auctioneer didn't even know it was there. They do have a different "feel" because of the high-hat hammer; I can't cock mine with only one hand; too awkward. Good luck! Nice find! Mine made about late 80's?
Skirmishers as a term seems to be specific to those that attend the N-NSA shoots. They are target matches, of course. Re-enactors do battle scenarios; this isn't a format meaning of the terms, but they are two clearly different things.

Reading this complete thread got my interest. Part of that recent buy had one original R&S, I took it out of the safe and started looking at it. It is not mine yet as I have a partner on these 12 CW pistols. Two questions, do you think an original Bannerman's R&S is as accurate as the recently made ones? Also the cylinder doesn't advance as you cock it? The bolt does holds it good but I'm guessing a hand issue, or could it just be dirty. Whether we sell it or one of us keeps it I need to fix it, any ideas folks.
Thanks much
Wayne

The cylinder should rotate to the next chamber when the hammer is cocked, just like any other single action revolver. If it doesn't, I would give it a complete disassembly and detailed cleaning, which will probably correct the problem, or reveal a broken spring.

People rant and rave about their accuracy, but to me they are about the same as any other BP revolver.

I have used those in the past on a few repairs myself. It would quicker than slicing up the points spring, you got me thinking A R Arn.
Thank you

I recently came into a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer revolver made in 1979 which has a couple of interesting attributes. It appears the previous owner removed the finish to bare metal in the interests of aging the gun. The fellow member I bought it from told me he acquired a large collection from a recently deceased Civil War 'skirmisher' which I took to mean re-enactor. It also appears he replaced the original barrel with either a custom barrel or a special order from Euroarms. He dovetailed a larger front sight blade and the barrel features load info for the gun under the loading lever !
Mechanically it appears to be tight and indexing perfectly. The bore is as new indicating it may not have been shot much if at all.
I was surprised to find that cocking the gun feels nothing like cocking a Colt open top. Those of you who have one of these know what I mean, it's just.. different.
I've yet to shoot the gun but I intend to start with the load info under the barrel. I understand the Rogers & Spencer is an accuarate shooter, am looking forward to some range time and will post results. I would very much like to hear from other Rogers & Spencer owners to learn of any quirks, tips or info.
Here are a few pics;
EZw7F1rh.jpg

UffOi6Yh.jpg

6JGm5toh.jpg

9RYvO65h.jpg

b0iEFaEh.jpg

WcYgqnnh.jpg

aZ5T2Meh.jpg

U7ozW0Ph.jpg
I now own this gun and it works well!

I own two Rogers and Spencer’s. I keep one at our winter home in Florida and one here in New England. I’ve never tried .457 round balls in the Spencer’s my standard BP load is 27 grains of 3F, 1/8th wad and a .454 round ball. I’m no marksman but they all shoot as fine as I can hold them.
I also own several ROA’s with pretty much the same Ammo usage in both cap and ball. Shoot pretty much the same group also.

Update on my original R&S. The revolver is repaired, not making a hand spring out of my auto points set nor a bobby pin. I happened to have a hand & spring from a 1849 Colt where the pin had snapped off. The spring was the same thickness and I figured I would try it, well it worked just fine.
That was a surprise to me.

Back